Brazil qualify for 2020 Olympic men's tournament
Reigning Olympic men’s football champions Brazil qualified for this summer’s tournament in Japan with a 3-0 win over Argentina on Sunday.
Brazil had to beat their arch rivals in the Colombia qualifier in order to join them as one of South America’s two representatives at the Tokyo Games.
Paulinho scored the opener after 11 minutes before Matheus Cunha added a second on the half-hour mark and a third early in the second half.
Argentina had already qualified for Tokyo after winning their first two matches in the round robin qualifying tournament. Uruguay lost out despite beating hosts Colombia 3-1 earlier on Sunday.
Brazil won the gold medal at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, giving them the last major international title to have eluded them.
- Reports: Delayed Tokyo Olympics likely to open in July 2021Football 2 days ago
- Cancel the league if it can’t be finished by June - Harry KaneFootball 2 days ago
- Only 479 days to go: Tokyo resets the clock on OlympicsFootball 2 days ago
- Mourinho to take Spurs training via video amid coronavirus lockdownFootball 2 days ago
- Messi announces additional Barca pay cut to help employeesFootball 2 days ago
- For point guard Akinyi, it's one step at a timeBasketball 1 day ago
- Fiorentina, Torino presidents say Serie A season unlikely to finishFootball 1 day ago