KPL: Gor Mahia captain sends the Green Army into frenzy

By Washington Onyango: Thursday, January 30th 2020 at 14:40 GMT +3 | Football
Gor Mahia skipper Kenneth Muguna celebrates after scoring against Sofapaka at Moi Stadium in Kisumu. [Washington Onyango,Standard]

Captain Kenneth Muguna scored the winning goal as defending champions Gor Mahia reclaimed Kenyan Premier League (KPL) top spot after beating Sofapaka 2-1 at Moi Stadium in Kisumu on Wednesday.

Lawrence Juma put the record champions ahead in the 12th minute before Ghanaian import Jaden Nana leveled the scores for Batoto ba Mungu six minutes later. Muguna then headed home the winner in the 63rd minute after collecting a fine cross from Clifton Miheso.

The win saw Gor go top of the table with 41 points, two more than second-placed Kakamega Homeboyz and with one game in hand.

Gor coach Steven Polack said he was happy with the win but called for improvement after missing clear chances in the first half.

“We missed clear chances in the first half that could have put us way ahead but I am happy with the way the boys responded in the second half. We dominated possession and kept on pushing for the winner and we finally got it,” he said.

The match kicked off on a high note with the first chance coming in the ninth minute when Muguna put through Clifford Miheso, who failed to control the ball inside the box.

Get the latest sports news updates. Subscribe to our SMS sports service by texting 'SPORTS' to 22840.

Three minutes later, Muguna fed a surging Boniface Omondi whose cross from the right wing was met by an unmarked Lawrence Juma in the box who headed past goal keeper Nicholas Sebwato to give Gor a 1-0 lead.

Gor took control of the game, trying add a second but it was Sofapaka who got lucky with Ghanaian striker Nana tapping in a rebound after David Mapigano failed to hold onto Kepha Aswani’s long range shot in the 18th minute.

Gor Mahia skipper Kenneth Muguna celebrates after scoring against Sofapaka at Moi Stadium in Kisumu. [Washington Onyango,Standard]

Gor almost scored few minutes later but Omondi could not feed Muguna after Sammy Imbuye blocked the shot.

Miheso and Muguna then dovetailed well in the 10 minute but Muguna’s shot went wide for 1-1 at the break.

Gor found it difficult to get past Sofapaka’s defence and Polack brought in new signings Juma Balinya, Sammy Onyango and Geoffrey Ochieng in place of Kennedy Otieno, Ernest Wendo and Benard Ondiek.

K’Ogalo summoned some renewed determination and it paid dividends in the 63rd minute when Miheso’s cross was met by Muguna whose header beat Sebwato again in goal.

In Kericho, Zoo Kericho came from behind twice to force a 2-2 draw against Mathare United at the Green Stadium. South Sudan striker Dani Lual gave the visitors 1-0 lead before Wilson Anekeya restored parity.

For More of This and Other Sports Stories Subscribe to the Standard Epaper