Middlesbrough complete signing of Kenyan youngster defender
Kenyan full-back George Gitau has completed his move to English second-tier side Middlesbrough on an academic scholarship.
In a statement on the club’s official website, Middlesbrough confirmed signing the 16-year-old full-back saying he had previously featured for Arsenal, Crystal Palace and Brighton but has decided to continue his football education at Middlesbrough.
“George Gitau is our latest scholarship recruit for next summer,” the club said in the statement.
“The Under-16 right-back was previously with Crystal Palace, Arsenal, and Brighton”
The club also revealed that he impressed after a trial and would join the club with other scholarship hopefuls.
“Gitau is quick, athletic, and smooth in possession, and he impressed after a trial. The youngster will join 12 other young hopefuls next summer on an Academy scholarship at Rockliffe,” the statement read.
The Championship side Middlesbrough, also revealed that the youngsters are all part of the current Under-15 team within the Academy.
The youngsters are Ash McCarthy and Max Howells, who both hail from Stockton, Sonny Finch, from Sunderland, Redcar’s George McCormick, and Hartlepool-based Luke Woolston.
- Thika Queens yavizia taji la Ligi KuuFootball 1 day ago
- Kobe Bryant mourners visit wrong gravesite as mystery surrounds final resting placeBasketball 15 hours ago
- It’s try time as star Ouma recalled ahead of USA legRugby 1 day ago
- Allegri puts Man United on red alert with plan to return to dugout in SeptemberPremier League 1 day ago
- Former FIFA boss charged in SwitzerlandFootball 2 days ago
- Ajowi among six Kenyan boxers given first round byesBoxing 1 day ago
- Arsenal boss Arteta hails Saka impact after win at OlympiakosFootball 1 day ago