CS Amina Mohamed: Nyayo Stadium’s renovation to end in March
Sports Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed has issued a timeline for Nyayo National Stadium works completion.
Speaking to the media on Wednesday, CS Amina indicated the contractor agreed to ensure completion of the stadium’s renovation by the end of March this year.
“We want to ensure that this facility is readily available for use by our sportsmen and women because it has become an eyesore for Kenyans who pass here every day.
These works have to be completed by the end of March. The contractor has agreed to adhere to that directive,” said Mohamed.
Most Nairobi based Kenyan Premier League (KPL) clubs take their matches to Kasarani Stadium and the facility is already suffering wear and tear.
The Sports chief in the country added that the Government is in the process of assessing Kasarani Stadium to know the areas that need to be reconditioned before big sporting events including the World Rally Championship series – the Safari Rally and the World Athletics Under-20 Championship in July.
“We have Olympics, Safari Rally and the athletics Under-20 championship, so the stadiums should be ready before these major competitions.
“We have to complete Nyayo and Kasarani stadiums before we can concentrate on others across the country,” Mohamed stated.
President Uhuru Kenyatta’s administration pledged to build five international when it assumed office in 2013.
The projects were to be completed within the first term but it never came to pass. In 2017, they promised seven stadiums in seven counties and, worse still, there is a snail pace in renovation of stadia.
- Athletics: It's race against time for Manangoi Athletics 1 day ago
- PSG Superstar hates Manchester United so much that he even turns off the TV Football 2 days ago
- Sarri says he is struggling to impose his style on JuventusFootball 2 hours ago
- Five mouthwatering clashes to watch in the Europa League this weekFootball 1 day ago
- Surprise Sh2 million boost for the Betika National Super LeagueFootball 2 days ago
- Fury versus Joshua 'will happen' says promoterBoxing 2 days ago
- Athletics: Chumba eyes glory in TokyoAthletics 1 day ago