Eliud Kipchoge nominated for Sportsman of the Year award alongside Messi and Tiger Woods
World marathon record holder Eliud Kipchoge has been nominated for the Sportsman of the Year category in the Laureus World Sports Awards.
Kipchoge has been nominated alongside Formula 1 champion Lewis Hamilton, Lionel Messi, Tiger Woods and Rafael Nadal.
The 34-year-old became the first athlete to run a marathon in under two hours by clocking 1hr 59mins 40secs, in Vienna, last year in October.
Kipchoge’s nomination to the Laureus World Sports Awards comes barely just a month after he won the World Athletics Athlete of 2019.
Other categories in the awards include the Sportswoman of the year, the team of the year, the breakthrough of the year, the comeback of the year, sportsperson of the year with a disability and action sportsperson of the year.
The Laureus is a global organisation that celebrates sporting excellence and uses the power of sport to transform the lives of children and young people.
This year’s award marks the 20th Anniversary Laureus World Sports Awards Ceremony to be held in Berlin, Germany in February 17.
- Former international players urge for respect on FIFA's stand on FKF ElectionsFootball 2 days ago
- Juventus players agree to take pay reduction in Sh10 billion cost-cutFootball 2 days ago
- Chelsea player reveals difficulty of separation from children due to coronavirusFootball 2 days ago
- UEFA president admits that current season may not finishFootball 2 days ago
- Italian minister to propose extending sports ban to whole of April Football 2 days ago
- Former star OF Edmonds hospitalized with coronavirus symptomsFootball 2 days ago
- Juventus players, coach Sarri agree pay cut due to coronavirusFootball 2 days ago