Eliud Kipchoge nominated for Sportsman of the Year award alongside Messi and Tiger Woods
World marathon record holder Eliud Kipchoge has been nominated for the Sportsman of the Year category in the Laureus World Sports Awards.
Kipchoge has been nominated alongside Formula 1 champion Lewis Hamilton, Lionel Messi, Tiger Woods and Rafael Nadal.
The 34-year-old became the first athlete to run a marathon in under two hours by clocking 1hr 59mins 40secs, in Vienna, last year in October.
Kipchoge’s nomination to the Laureus World Sports Awards comes barely just a month after he won the World Athletics Athlete of 2019.
Other categories in the awards include the Sportswoman of the year, the team of the year, the breakthrough of the year, the comeback of the year, sportsperson of the year with a disability and action sportsperson of the year.
The Laureus is a global organisation that celebrates sporting excellence and uses the power of sport to transform the lives of children and young people.
This year’s award marks the 20th Anniversary Laureus World Sports Awards Ceremony to be held in Berlin, Germany in February 17.
- Prince Harry reemerges for Rugby League World Cup drawRugby 2 days ago
- Why children could be banned from heading the ball in ScotlandFootball 2 days ago
- Bruno Fernandes plans confirmed by Sporting Lisbon coach Premier League 2 days ago
- Tanzanian striker set to light up the Premier LeagueFootball 2 days ago
- UEFA change Team of the Year formation to fit in Cristiano RonaldoFootball 2 days ago
- Firmino in tears as Liverpool teammate Alisson assists emotional baptism [PHOTOS]Football 2 days ago
- FIBA AfroBasket qualifiers: Brave Somalia gives Kenyans real scareBasketball 2 days ago