How Ballon d'Or could stop Mbappe from joining Liverpool
The chance of winning the Ballon d'Or is the one thing standing in the way of PSG star Kylian Mbappe signing for Liverpool.
So says former Liverpool defender Stephen Warnock, who reckons the world's top players are sometimes put off signing for Premier League clubs because they don't think they'll be able to land the biggest prizes.
Liverpool have been linked with a move for £130million-rated Mbappe, although much speculation has suggested that a transfer to Real Madrid is more likely for the Paris-Saint Germain ace.
With Klopp having led Liverpool to last season's Champions League triumph and to a position of dominance in the Premier League this campaign, Warnock believes the Reds now have the clout to sign players of Mbappe's calibre.
But Warnock believes there is still a perception among top players that they are more likely to win prizes like the Ballon d'Or if they are at clubs like Madrid or Barcelona.
A prime example is this year's award, which is widely tipped to be won by Barcelona's Lionel Messi despite Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk having enjoyed a stellar season.
"I just think because of the way Liverpool have elevated themselves in the last couple of years under Jurgen Klopp, people are now putting stories together linking them with the best players in the world," Warnock told the Liverpool Echo .
"Let's be honest, why wouldn't they want to play under Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool? The atmosphere is incredible and so is the manager.
"They have reached two Champions League finals in the last two seasons and a Europa League final not long before that. It's very appealing to go to Liverpool at the moment.
"Would Mbappe go to Liverpool? You know what, why wouldn't he come? Why wouldn't he want to play against the best players in the Premier League and really test himself?
"I think the one problem we face over here with players like that is they often feel like they can only win the Ballon d'Or if they go to Real Madrid or Barcelona.
"Why can't there be a shift? Why can't there be a Premier League team who dominates Europe for a number of years?
- Kenya Sevens face challenging task in Hamilton legRugby 1 day ago
- Who will win 2019 Soya gala tonight?Sports 1 day ago
- Manchester United ‘clear out’ looms large – Solskjaer to get rid of playersGossip & Rumours 1 day ago
- Klopp rules out Liverpool sales in transfer windowPremier League 2 days ago
- Mutai to light up South Rift cross country meeting in Sotik tomorrowAthletics 1 day ago
- Title race intensifies as KPL resumes with seven matches Football 53 minutes ago
- Bolt set to become father after announcing girlfriend is expectingSports 1 day ago