Rugby: Kabras Sugar maintain winning sweetness in Kenya Cup
Kabras Sugar registered their fourth successive win in the Kenya Cup with a 40-15 triumph over Nondescripts at the Jamhuri Showground yesterday.
By virtue of scoring more than four tries, the Kakamega-based side picked a winning bonus point which took their tally to 20 while Nondies remained on six points having won one match thus far.
Kabras, who handed Fijian Avisai Kuruyawa his first start of the season, scored six tries and five conversions while Nondies managed two tries, a conversion and a penalty.
It was always going to be difficult for Nondies, the most successful team in the league (17 titles), who went to the match with a poor head to head record against the sugar millers as they had won only one of their last six meetings.
There was nothing to suggest that Nondies would cause an upset after the league leaders took a 28-3 lead at half-time.
Kabras were quick off the blocks with Jone Kubu setting up Felix Ayange for a converted try.
Kubu would then add the extras to Avisai’s try to send Kabras 14-0 up.
The sugar millers continued to press Nondies in their territory and this allowed Ntabeni Dukisa to cross the whitewash, taking the match beyond the reach of the home side.
Michael Gitau scored a late try for Nondies but the damage had already been done as Kabras held on for the win.
Homeboyz also remained unbeaten after match day four courtesy of win against Western Bulls at the RFUEA ground while Nakuru RFC got off the mark with a come-from-behind victory against fellow strugglers Kenya Harlequin.
In Nakuru, seven tries and four conversions was all defending champions KCB needed to dismiss stubborn Menengai Oilers 43-13 in at ASK Showground.
National Sevens team captain Andrew Amonde scored three tries for the bankers. [Clement Wekulo and Ben Ahenda]
- Liverpool beat Man United to sign Japan star Minamino Premier League 2 days ago
- Former Liverpool FC WAG guilty of funding terrorism over ISIS supportPremier League 2 days ago
- Aguero and Stones to miss Arsenal Vs Man City clash through injuryPremier League 2 days ago
- Guardiola denies Man City break clausePremier League 2 days ago
- Okwiri thirsts for title defence Boxing 1 day ago
- NSL: Stakes high ahead of City Stars, Black Stars matchSports 1 day ago
- RUGBY: MMUST seek redemption as Strathmore eye top spotRugby 1 day ago