Athletics: Athletes set for Baringo 10km race
Over 300 athletes are expected to take part in this year’s edition of Baringo 10km road race at Kabarnet tomorrow.
The event will be graced by the 2019 Chicago City marathon winner, Lawrence Cherono and National Olympic Committee of Kenya President, Paul Tergat—both of whom hail from the county.
Most athletes use the event to launch their international careers, with past winners having gone ahead to become global stars at international invitational and championship road races.
Four-time New York City marathon champion Mary Keitany is one of the pioneer participants of the event having taken part in 21km race some years back.
Alfred Barakach, the senior men’s 2018 Africa Cross Country champion has also participated in event.
Winners of the 10km race will pocket Sh60,000, first runners up Sh40,000 and third place finishers Sh30,000 respectively in both genders.
“We are just finalising on some few things to make the race exciting for the athletes,” said William Tomno, the Athletics Kenya Baringo County chairman and Local Organising Committee boss.
The race is supported by the Tourism Fund, Geothermal Development Corporation, Sirwo Enterprises and the Baringo County Government.
- Liverpool beat Man United to sign Japan star Minamino Premier League 2 days ago
- Former Liverpool FC WAG guilty of funding terrorism over ISIS supportPremier League 2 days ago
- Aguero and Stones to miss Arsenal Vs Man City clash through injuryPremier League 2 days ago
- Guardiola denies Man City break clausePremier League 2 days ago
- Okwiri thirsts for title defence Boxing 1 day ago
- NSL: Stakes high ahead of City Stars, Black Stars matchSports 1 day ago
- RUGBY: MMUST seek redemption as Strathmore eye top spotRugby 1 day ago