Arrest made in murder of dutch footballer
Dutch authorities on Thursday arrested a suspect in the killing of former professional soccer player Kelvin Maynard, news agency ANP reported.
Defender Maynard, 32, died when two assailants on a motor-bike opened fire on his car in September in a southeastern district of Amsterdam.
No details about the suspect were released.
Maynard, who had been playing this season for Dutch amateur club “Alphense Boys”, had run-ins with the police in the past, authorities said at the time without providing details.
He previously had been with Dutch side Volendam, Portugal’s Sporting Clube Olhanense, Hungary’s Kecskemeti TE, Belgium’s Antwerp FC and England’s Burton Albion.
While shooting deaths are rare, alarm has been growing over crime in Amsterdam, a city of 800,000 people where recreational drug use has long been tolerated by law enforcement, creating an underworld of dealers and suppliers that sometimes fuels violence.
- Former Liverpool FC WAG guilty of funding terrorism over ISIS supportPremier League 2 days ago
- Aguero and Stones to miss Arsenal Vs Man City clash through injuryPremier League 2 days ago
- Guardiola denies Man City break clausePremier League 2 days ago
- Okwiri thirsts for title defence Boxing 1 day ago
- NSL: Stakes high ahead of City Stars, Black Stars matchSports 1 day ago
- RUGBY: MMUST seek redemption as Strathmore eye top spotRugby 1 day ago
- Solskjaer backs resurgent Man Utd to battle for top fourPremier League 2 days ago