Hockey: Lakers hit JKUAT at City Park
Kenya Hockey Union women’s Premier League debutants Lakers began the weekend tour of Nairobi with a 2-0 win over Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) at City Park yesterday.
The victory saw the Kisumu-based side move to fifth place tied on 18 points with fourth-placed Strathmore University Scorpions. For first timers in the top tier, Lakers have had a fair season and is one of the sides that have lost fewer matches.
Two first quarter goals from Edna Vallerie and captain Linah Barasa were enough to see Lakers revive their hopes of a good finish.
However, it was a bad day for bottom stuck JKUAT students as they lost the relegation battle. JKUAT remain winless after twelve outings and even victories in their remaining two matches can’t save them from relegation.
Their demotion to the Super League was sealed in the first eleven minutes of the game.
Vallerie showed that Lakers meant business with a superb second minute field goal giving her side a 1-0 lead before their opponents could even settle in the game.
- Aguero and Stones to miss Arsenal Vs Man City clash through injuryPremier League 2 days ago
- Guardiola denies Man City break clausePremier League 2 days ago
- Okwiri thirsts for title defence Boxing 2 days ago
- NSL: Stakes high ahead of City Stars, Black Stars matchSports 2 days ago
- RUGBY: MMUST seek redemption as Strathmore eye top spotRugby 2 days ago
- Solskjaer backs resurgent Man Utd to battle for top fourPremier League 2 days ago
- SWIMMING : Bandari rule national championshipsSports 2 days ago