Boxer dies aged 27 after a freak accident in training
Australian boxer Dwight Ritchie has died aged 27 after a freak accident during a sparring session.
'The Fighting Cowboy' was helping light middleweight star Michael Zerafa prepare for his rematch with Australian legend Jeff Horn.
But during a regulation sparring session with Zerafa, Ritchie took a body punch before he walked back to his corner and collapsed, according to The Daily Telegraph.
The dad of three daughters could not be revived.
"It is with great sadness and shock to announce that 'the fighting cowboy' Dwight Ritchie sadly passed away today doing what he loved," promoter and friend Jake Ellis wrote on Facebook on Saturday.
"It’s unbearable to accept the tragic news that’s just surfaced.
"Dwight will always be remembered by the boxing fraternity as one of the brightest talents in Australia who’s fighting style embodied exactly how he lived.
"RIP Cowboy, you’ll be forever missed."
Fellow boxer Luke Jackson said: "Today we lost one of our own.
"I remember having my professional debut on Dwight’s card. Sending my love to his family, loved ones and the whole of boxing Australia RIP Dwight Ritchie."
Australian commentator Ben Damon added on Twitter : “Confirming the heartbreaking news that Australian boxer Dwight Ritchie has today passed away after a freak training accident. He was 27. RIP Cowboy.”
Ritchie had 21 professional fights and boasted a record of 19 victories, of which two came by knock out, and two defeats.
His most recent fight, in August, saw him miss out on the IBF Australasian Super Welter Title in a unanimous decision to Tim Tszyu.
Tszyu posted on Facebook: "Today we lost a champion both in and out of the ring with the tragic passing of Dwight Ritchie. As a group we are all shattered , our thought and prayers go out to the Ritchie family as we all take a moment to remember a great warrior and champion. Gone to soon."
- Wilson Kipsang survives road accident [Photos]Athletics 2 days ago
- Chelsea boss Lampard to move for Zaha in JanuaryGossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- Top swimmers in East Africa converge in Mombasa todaySwimming 2 days ago
- Paul Pogba ruled out of AZ Alkmaar clashFootball 2 days ago
- Why Simeone can't afford another slip at AtleticoFootball 2 days ago
- Russian champ blasts own sports authorities over banAthletics 2 days ago
- Benitez not keen on Arsenal and Everton jobsPremier League 2 days ago