Arsene Wenger out of Bayern Munich running after talks break down over deal
Arsene Wenger is out of the running to be the next Bayern Munich boss.
Former Arsenal boss Wenger, 70, was open to taking charge at the Allianz Arena.
And the former Gunners chief spoke to Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge about the post.
Bayern were keen on Wenger but only on a temporary basis until the end of the season and the Frenchman wanted a more permanent role.
That has led to Wenger and Bayern ending discussions about him taking charge of the German giants who sacked Niko Kovac last weekend.
The Croatian was dismissed after a 5-1 thrashing by Eintracht Frankfurt. Although Bayern remain fourth in the Bundesliga, and it was only their second loss of the league season, the defeat meant Kovac's defence had conceded 16 times in just 10 matches. Bayern may now leave caretaker Hansi Flick in charge until the end of the season but will make a decision next week in the international break.
They could turn to Ajax boss Eric ten Hag as a permanent replacement next summer while Wenger still has an offer from FIFA to be their next technical director on the table.
Former Chelsea defender Marcel Desailly claimed this week his thoughts that Wenger is now too old to return to management. Speaking on beIN Sports, the World Cup winner said: "No, he should not be in the dugout. It's not for him anymore.
"He has great possibilities to restructure, to build up the philosophy of the club, towards the first team and the academy.
"But as a frontline, we don't see him anymore. He's 70 years old."
- Juventus to raise Paul Pogba transfer talks with Man UtdGossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- Coutinho stars in Brazil 3-0 win over South KoreaFootball 2 days ago
- Starlets demolish Djibouti 12-0 to enter semifinalsFootball 2 days ago
- Kimanzi sees silver lining in Togo outingFootball 2 days ago
- Kamworor still toys with going for track at 2020 Tokyo Olympic GamesAthletics 2 days ago
- Vihiga United close gap on leaders City Stars to three pointsFootball 2 days ago
- Ex-footballer arrested on suspicion of running Spain drugs ringFootball 2 days ago