Legend Paul Tergat receives Honorary Achilles Prize
Kenyan legend and world marathon record holder Paul Tergat has received the Honorary Achilles Prize from the International Athletics Film Festival (FICA) in the Spanish city of San Sebastian.
The five-time world cross country champion on Tuesday, November 8 was the guest of honor at the second night of FICA celebrations.
Tergat who is also a member of the International Olympic Committee has followed in the footsteps of Bob Beamon 12 months ago through his international appeal and contribution to the sport.
During his time in the early 1990s, Tergat was a popular world champion and figure having won several cross country races.
While receiving the award, Tergat said “It’s a big honor to be recognised in this way and this honor is very special to me,”
He added that, “I hope this type of event (FICA) will continue for many years. To see the film of my cross country victories, as well as my defeats on the track at the Olympics, brings it all back to me even though it was 20 years ago, and more. But it’s important to keep these memories for our children and grandchildren.”
Apart from the Achilles Prize Honorary, Tergat was also presented with ceremonial inscribed Basque beret – a “txapela”– a traditional gift in the Spanish city of San Sebastian.
“I have competed all over the world, but I remember well the reception I always got in Spain. The people here were always very warm and welcoming,” he said.
Tergat was presented with the trophy by Spanish Athletics Federation President and IAAF Council Member Raul Chapado.
FICA also awarded Spain’s Mario Casado with the IAAF competition for U23 filmmakers from his innovative and creative short Why I Run.
The film depicted a male runner’s relationship with a female protagonist who is undergoing hospital treatment.
The IAAF U23 filmmaker’s competition stipulated rules for film submission;
- The film shouldn’t be longer than 2 minutes.
- The film should be shot on a mobile phone or tablet.
- Dortmund's Witsel out until New YearFootball 2 days ago
- Rapinoe adds a goal for 2020: Helping Democrats win White HouseFootball 2 days ago
- US envoy visits Kipchoge at Kaptagat, pledges support for athleticsAthletics 2 days ago
- Wilson Kipsang survives road accident [Photos]Athletics 2 days ago
- Chelsea boss Lampard to move for Zaha in JanuaryGossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- Top swimmers in East Africa converge in Mombasa todaySwimming 2 days ago
- Paul Pogba ruled out of AZ Alkmaar clashFootball 2 days ago