Spartans silence Scorpions in varsity derby
United States International University of Africa (USIU-A) Spartans yesterday edged rivals Strathmore University Scorpions 2-0 in a Kenya Hockey Union Women’s Premier League match at City Park.
Rachel Wangui and Veronica Williams were on target to see Spartans crown a successful weekend out with double victory.
On Saturday, they defeated Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) by the same margin.
The victory saw USIU-A equal champions and current league leaders Telkom on 26 points assuring them of a top-two finish.
An elated USIU-A coach Willis Okeyo said they will be looking to end the season on high.
“The girls played well and our game plan was also effective in both matches. Our aim was for a top two finish and I’m glad we have achieved our objective. We also want to play well in our remaining games and improve our points tally,” Okeyo said.
His Strathmore equal Meshack Senge was a disappointed man saying his players were not courageous enough.
“We did not take our chances but our opponents made good use of theirs well and that made the difference between winning and losing. Our hopes of a good finish have crashed because third place is the best we can achieve now.”
Spartans will take on Telkom and Kenyatta University Titans next
- Sala's family still waiting for answers one year after striker's deathSports 4 hours ago
- All you need to know about Kaizer Chief's new Kenyan boy Akumu [PHOTOS]Football 19 hours ago
- Venus Williams outclassed by 15-year-old ‘on a mission to be the greatest’Tennis 1 day ago
- Ex-Real Madrid star denies assassinating teammateFootball 7 hours ago
- Wanyama sends message to Oliech after he announced his retirementFootball 1 day ago
- RFUEA Grounds set to host 2020 Safari 7s for the third time in a rowRugby 1 hour ago
- Karate: Kenya Police make arrests at Taifa Open Sports 19 hours ago