Table Tennis: Wandera and Juma crowned Kisumu Open champions
Kenya seed one Josiah Wandera and Doreen Juma were crowned the men’s and ladies champions of the 2019 Kisumu Open Table Tennis Championship hosted at Jalaram Academy in Kisumu on Sunday.
Wandera, fresh from representing the country in the All African Games in Morocco defeated Kennedy Kojal 3-2 to win the second edition of the tournament aimed at promoting the sport in grass root levels.
The City Stadium Tennis Club player attributed his success to hard work and experience gained during the games in Rabat.
“I learnt a lot during the African games and am happy to win after not attaining my targets in Morroco. Despite that am glad that I was able to use some of the skills I picked there and which am willing to share to improve other players,” he said after the win.
In the ladies final, it was an all City Stadium club affair as Juma defeated her teammate Victoria Njeru 3-0 to clinch gold.
Tournament director and host Derrick Inyanje said they are aiming at creating an East African event next year after registering over 100 entries during the tourney.
“We had top national players and schools which made the tournament a success and we are going to work towards creating a bigger event next year for East Africa so that we can grow the sport in the region,” said Inyanje who doubles as national team coach.
National Table Tennis school champions St Joseph Kitale finished second in team events which was won by City Stadium club.
Boniface Musioki won the under 18 boys category as Krish Khiroya won the under 15 girls category. Mit Patel took home gold in the under 12 category.
- David Luiz’s time at Arsenal coming to an end?Football 1 day ago
- Herbert Mwachiro enters race to replace Nick Mwendwa as FKF bossFootball 2 days ago
- Mwamba RFC announce new kit partnership with Samurai [PHOTOS]Rugby 1 day ago
- Barcelona internal document 'leaked' giving insight into transfer plansGossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- Europe’s 20 most-valuable football clubs revealedFootball 1 day ago
- Bayern's Kimmich enjoys 'most beautiful goal' as title beckonsFootball 2 days ago
- Gilly Okumu keen on dribbling to increased stardomHockey 1 day ago