Atalanta coach Gasperini labels international friendlies as useless ahead of Manchester City UCL clash
Atalanta coach Gian Piero Gasperini has labelled international friendlies as useless after leading scorer Duvan Zapata was injured playing for Colombia one week ago.
Zapata is expected to be out for three weeks, including next week's Champions League match at Manchester City, with an adductor strain which forced him out of the 0-0 draw against Chile, played in Alicante, Spain, last Saturday.
"I reacted with an expletive," Gasperini told Corriere dello Sport in an interview published Friday.
"It is useless to go around the world and play friendlies with no meaning; the players are subjected to a whirlwind tour of 12 to 13 days where there is nothing at stake. And then we complain that the number of injuries increases."
"Some matches are not watched by anyone, they are useless from both a technical-tactical point of view and from an entertainment point of view," added Gasperini, who has taken Atalanta into the Champions League for the first time.
He also complained that there were international breaks in September, October and November and suggested there should be a single, long window for internationals instead.
"We hope that this mess caused by the national teams is ended; the championship cannot be stopped three times in three months," he said. "At this point, it is better to concentrate the challenges of the national teams into a single break."
Zapata was Atalanta's leading scorer last season with 28 goals in all competitions and has already hit seven in nine games this term.
- COVID-19: Sports Ministry to disburse Sh50million to athletes over two monthsFootball 2 days ago
- Mwamba RFC announce new kit partnership with Samurai [PHOTOS]Rugby 1 day ago
- Virtual athletics: Cheruiyot to take on Norwegian brothers on June 11Athletics 2 days ago
- Blackburn star, two Fulham players test positive for COVID-19Football 1 day ago
- Premier League to restart on June 17 Premier League 1 day ago
- David Luiz’s time at Arsenal coming to an end?Football 1 day ago
- Gilly Okumu keen on dribbling to increased stardomHockey 1 day ago