Barcelona vs Real Madrid El Clasico decision delayed until Monday
A decision on when Barcelona's clash against Real Madrid will be held has reportedly been postponed until Monday.
The first Clásico of the season was due to be held at Camp Nou on October 26, but is increasingly likely to be postponed amid political ubrest in Catalunya.
It had been hoped a decision could be announced on Friday - but this will not now happen until Monday, according to Spanish publication Marca.
The potential option of switching the game to the Bernabeu is believed to have been dismissed by both Barcelona and Real , so alternative dates have been discussed.
One date that has been touted is December 18, but La Liga do not want the game to be played on a Wednesday.
LaLiga president Javier Tebas told EFE: "The Clasico can't be on that day, there are Copa [del Rey matches]."
Another option could be to hold the game on December 7 - but both Barca and Madrid already have fixtures on that date, so their respective opponents Real Mallorca and Espanyol would have to agree to switch.
The Spanish Football Federation's Competition Committee has given both clubs and La Liga until Monday to reach a decision.
Whatever happens, it looks as though both clubs will get a weekend's rest following their Champions League games next week, with Barcelona away to Slavia Prague and Real Madrid visiting Galatasaray.
Calls to rearrange the game came after nine Catalan political leaders were jailed on Monday for between nine and 13 years, for their part in the controversial independence referendum in 2017.
That sparked political unrest in the region, with protests continuing through the week.
The Catalan Football Federation suspended all matches in the region on Monday, although that ruling does not affect La Liga matches or the Spanish national team.
- Table Tennis: Mutua set to quench Olympics slot thirstTennis 2 days ago
- Dortmund's 'Yellow Wall': The gigantic monster lying in wait for PSGFootball 13 hours ago
- Semenya, her wife celebrated their three years of marriage as she joins women’s footballAthletics 2 days ago
- GSU, Prisons seek title defence as new season beginsVolleyball and Handball 2 days ago
- PSG replace Man City as most financially powerful clubFootball 2 days ago
- NOC-K signs Olympics deal with Kurume CityAthletics 2 days ago
- Pele dismisses talk of depression, tells fans he is wellFootball 2 days ago