Eliud Kipchoge nominated for IAAF Male World Athlete of the Year award
The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) has released a list of nominees for 2019 Male World Athlete of the Year.
Guess whose name has been included? The greatest marathoner of his generation and Kenya’s most-daring son Eliud Kipchoge has made the shortlist for obvious reasons.
Kipchoge, on October 12, 2019, made history, busting the mythical two-hour barrier for the marathon on a specially prepared course in a huge Vienna park.
With an unofficial time of 1hr 59min 40.2sec, the Olympic champion became the first ever to run a marathon in under two hours in the Prater park with the course readied to make it as even as possible.
Kenya’s Timothy Cheruyiot has also been nominated. Cheruiyot won a silver medal at the 2017 World Championships in the 1500 metres event, he has also won the 1500 m Diamond League on three occasions: in 2017, 2018 and 2019.
Recently, he walked away with a gold medal in 1500 m at the 2019 World Athletics Championships in Doha, Qatar.
“The IAAF is pleased to confirm a list of 11 nominees for Male World Athlete of the Year who were selected by an international panel of athletics experts, comprising representatives from all six continental areas of the IAAF.
“The nominations of 11 athletes reflects the remarkable range of exceptional performances that the sport has witnessed this year, at the IAAF World Athletics Championships in Doha, and in the Diamond League and in road and cross country events. The IAAF’s Competition Performance Ranking show that the World Championships in Doha was the highest quality competition in the history of the event,” IAAF said in a statement on Monday.
This week marks the opening of the voting process for the 2019 World Athletes of the Year ahead of the World Athletics Awards 2019 in Monaco on Saturday 23 November.
The female nominees will be announced tomorrow, Tuesday 15 October.
The nominees for 2019 Male World Athlete of the Year are:
Eliud Kipchoge (KEN)
- won London Marathon in a course record of 2:02:37
- ran 1:59:40.2 for 42.195km in Vienna
Timothy Cheruyiot (KEN)
- won world 1500m title
- won Diamond League 1500m title
- won 10 of his 11 outdoor races across all distances
Donavan Brazier (USA)
- won world 800m title in a championship record of 1:42.34
- won Diamond League title
- won four of his five outdoor 800m races
Christian Coleman (USA)
- won world 100m title in a world-leading 9.76
- won world 4x100m title in a world-leading 37.10
- won four of his five races at 100m
Joshua Cheptegei (UGA)
- won world cross-country title in Aarhus
- won world 10,000m title in a world-leading 26:48.36
- won Diamond League 500m title
Steven Gardiner (BAH)
- won world 400m title in 43.48
- undefeated all year over 400m
- ran world-leading 32.26 indoors over 300m
Sam Kendricks (USA)
- won world pole vault title
- cleared a world-leading 6.06m to win the US title
- won 12 of his 17 outdoor competitions, including the Diamond League final
Noah Lyles (USA)
- won world 200m and 4x100m titles
- ran a world-leading 19.50 in Lausanne to move to fourth on the world all-time list
- won Diamond League titles at 100m and 200m
Daniel Stahl (SWE)
- won the world discus title
- threw a world-leading 71.86m to move to fifth on the world all-time list
- won 13 of his 16 competitions, including the Diamond League final
Christian Taylor (USA)
- won the world triple jump title
- won Diamond League title
- won 10 of his 14 competitions
Karsten Warholm (NOR)
- won the world 400m hurdles title
- undefeated indoors and outdoors at all distances, including at the Diamond League final and the European Indoor Championships
- clocked world-leading 46.92, the second-fastest time in history
- Athletics: Athletes set for Baringo 10km raceAthletics 2 days ago
- Road race: Stars gear up for Kass marathon on SundayAthletics 2 days ago
- Athletics: Choge eyes Valencia Marathon redemptionAthletics 2 days ago
- Volleyball: Prisons leaving nothing to chance in their quest to retain national women’s titleVolleyball and Handball 2 days ago
- Rugby: Provisional committee to help Nakuru RFC in Kenya CupRugby 2 days ago
- Shooting: Kenyan marksmen depart for Africa Olympics qualifiersSports 2 days ago
- Ronaldo hat-trick fires Portugal to brink of Euro 2020 qualificationFootball 2 days ago