Chess: Equity Bank seek redemption in league action
Equity Bank Chess Club will be seeking to bounce back to winning ways when the Kenya Premier Chess League resumes today at the KCB Sports Club.
The defending champions are seventh in the log with 46 points tied with Nakuru Chess Club after playing 18 matches and trail leaders KCB who are top with 69 points.
Equity captain John Mukabi said they are focusing on catching up with the leaders despite KCB having the upper hand of clinching the title.
Equity has not played in the past three legs and Mukabi said they will use this opportunity to climb up the table with their five games in hand.
“The players are fresh and eager to play after missing play for the past weeks. We didn’t start well and we wanted to use this opportunity to try and chase KCB who are 23 points away,” he said.
Equity Bank will face Daystar University in their first match today before facing Bank of Africa the following day.
“We have to win our matches this weekend if we are to stand a chance of cutting KCB’s lead to eight points. We know they have an upper hand in the title race and it’s not going to be easy but we believe we can do it,” he said.
- Messi eyes more glory after bagging sixth Ballon d’OrFootball 2 days ago
- 'Your eyes burn' - Golfer in mask as smoke shrouds Australian OpenGolf 1 day ago
- Russia braces for four-year Olympic ban over doping scandalSports 7 hours ago
- Ole Gunnar reveals what Man United’s win over Mourinho's Spurs meant to his teamFootball 10 hours ago
- Five-star Liverpool thrash sorry EvertonFootball 1 day ago
- Pogba 'determined' to seal Man Utd exit ahead of Euro 2020Premier League 6 hours ago
- Fiji start World Sevens series defence with victory over JapanRugby 1 day ago