Haile Gebrselassie: Eliud Kipchoge will beat the two-hour marathon barrier
While every athlete learns the importance of sportsmanship at an early age, as they get older and become famous at the professional level, that notion can be tossed out of the window.
Ethiopian running legend Haile Gebrselassie has shown true sportsmanship after wishing Eliud Kipchoge the best of luck as the latter tries to break the 2hour mark marathon barrier in Vienna, Austria tomorrow.
"Hi my friend Kipchoge, I know you are in Vienna for the sub-2 hours. Believe me, you can do it. Go! Go! Go! Good luck," Gebrselassie posted on Twitter, Friday.
Gebrselassie won two Olympic gold medals over 10,000 metres and four World Championship titles.
He also won the Berlin Marathon four times consecutively and also had three straight wins at the Dubai Marathon.
In his illustrious career, Gebrselassie also won four world titles indoors and was the 2001 World Half Marathon Champion.
Kipchoge holds the Men's Marathon World Record with a time of 2hr 01min 39sec, which he set in Berlin on September 16, 2018.
The World marathon record holder Kipchoge, who was flown out of the country on Monday, October 7 in a chartered plane to Austria, will attempt to break the two-hour marathon barrier to beat his Berlin record.
One of the reasons Vienna was picked for the venue was its favourable weather conditions in October.
Vienna offers many advantages as a venue for the attempt, including the fact that it’s only an hour behind Kipchoge’s home time zone.
INEOS 1:59 organisers have confirmed the marathon will start tomorrow (Saturday) at 9:15a.m.
Viva Eliud Kipchoge and all the best!
- David Luiz’s time at Arsenal coming to an end?Football 1 day ago
- Herbert Mwachiro enters race to replace Nick Mwendwa as FKF bossFootball 2 days ago
- Mwamba RFC announce new kit partnership with Samurai [PHOTOS]Rugby 1 day ago
- Premier League to restart on June 17 Premier League 1 day ago
- Barcelona internal document 'leaked' giving insight into transfer plansGossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- Europe’s 20 most-valuable football clubs revealedFootball 1 day ago
- Bayern's Kimmich enjoys 'most beautiful goal' as title beckonsFootball 2 days ago