Harambee Starlets may miss Ghana tie
Football Kenya Federation (FKF) President Nick Mwendwa says Harambee Starlets risk missing their fixture against Ghana set to be played next week, in the West African country.
The fixture will be the third round of the Women Olympic Qualifiers, but as it stands the tie may not be played since the Ministry of Sports is yet to approve the team’s budget.
‘’The team was not supported against Malawi and we are afraid the same might happen again. At the moment we have not heard from the ministry,’’ Mwendwa told Standard Sports.
He added that FKF is broke and they have requested support from the ministry.
When Standard Sports contacted Sports Principal Secretary Kirimi Kaberia, he confirmed that they have received a fund request from FKF but it was yet to be approved.
‘“We have come up with rules and regulations that all the federations must follow before funding is released. While we understand the urgency of the Starlets’ request, it must go through the same process that I cannot interfere with,’’ he said.
The Starlets have been facing financial woes despite support promises from Sports Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohammed.
- Tottenham star Son opens up on military training experienceFootball 1 day ago
- Real Madrid 'eye Jadon Sancho transfer in 2021' Gossip & Rumours 1 day ago
- Manchester City's Mahrez has watches worth Sh40 million stolenFootball 2 days ago
- Defiant KPL ready to resume league actionFootball 3 hours ago
- Southampton forward Djenepo aiming to be better than Sadio ManePremier League 14 hours ago
- Former Bradford winger in court over alleged sex offence against girl aged 14Football 2 days ago
- Germany: Werder Bremen in danger, a joker to improveFootball 1 day ago