SA and Spain sides headline Safari Sevens
World Sevens Series core sides South Africa and Spain headline the list of teams that have confirmed participation in this year’s Safari Sevens slated for next month at the RFUEA grounds.
The three-day event, which will be played between October 18-20, has also attracted reigning Africa Sevens champions Zimbabwe, Uganda, Zambia and Russia Academy.
With the South Africa national team having sent their second-string squad, the Emerging Boks in recent years, Kenya Rugby Union Vice Chairman Thomas Opiyo believes that will not be the case.
“We have contacted the South Africa head coach and Team Manager and they are bringing the Blitzboks top players. We expect to have a very good tournament because we shall have Kenya, South Africa and Spain as teams that play in the World Sevens Series,” said Opiyo.
Opiyo also said they are waiting for feedback from four more teams, Ghana, Nigeria, Rwanda and Burundi before conducting the tournament draw.
South African clubs Western Province and Blue Bulls, as well as French club Seventise Rugby and Narvskaya Zastava from Russia, will also grace the showpiece.
As has been the norm, Kenya will be represented by two teams, Shujaa and Morans while local Sevens Circuit champions KCB have also landed an invite.
Defending champions Samurai Select and Red Wailers are the other teams that have confirmed participation.
- Manchester United make Bruno Fernandes breakthroughGossip & Rumours 1 day ago
- CAF confirms four pots for Africa World Cup Qualifiers ahead of draw tonightFootball 2 days ago
- Stars sweat over Adel’s Sh108m debtFootball 17 hours ago
- Why Man United must sack Woodward - Gary Neville Premier League 2 days ago
- Nadal eases into third round in MelbourneTennis 6 hours ago
- Latest transfer update on Tottenham midfielder Victor WanyamaFootball 2 days ago
- Bolt set to become father after announcing girlfriend is expectingSports 7 hours ago