AK cancels this year’s Mombasa marathon
The annual Mombasa Marathon will not be held this year, Athletics Kenya has announced.
Instead, there will be a 10km race next Sunday in Mombasa sponsored by Safaricom in place of the 42km race.
“We cannot hold our 38th edition of Mombasa international marathon due to financial constraints as the Sh2m sponsorship has been slashed to Sh1m,” said Athletics Kenya Deputy Treasurer Kimoni Kisalu.
The official, who doubles up as the Athletics Kenya Coast branch chairman, said they will award the top 10 finishers of the 10km race in both men and women categories. “We shall give Sh100,000 to the winners with the three finishing local athletes also getting cash awards,” said Kisalu.
He said the races will start and finish at the Treasury Square passing through historical sites including the Elephant Tusks along Moi Avenue.
“We intend to close several roads within the Central Business District (CBD) to create awareness to Mombasa residents,” said Kisalu.
- Messi to lead Argentina against Australia in Copa America Football 2 days ago
- Big show at Magical Kenya Ladies OpenGolf 1 day ago
- Gunners boss reveals why Aubameyang left the field for a toilet break during Arsenal's defeat to BrightonFootball 13 hours ago
- FKF clinches Sh127 million Odibets dealSports 18 hours ago
- Solskjaer, Mourinho sing McTominay's praisesFootball 1 day ago
- Diego Simeone heading for Atletico Madrid 'divorce'Gossip & Rumours 1 day ago
- Masinde Muliro upbeat ahead of Strathmore top of the table clashRugby 1 day ago