AK cancels this year’s Mombasa marathon
The annual Mombasa Marathon will not be held this year, Athletics Kenya has announced.
Instead, there will be a 10km race next Sunday in Mombasa sponsored by Safaricom in place of the 42km race.
“We cannot hold our 38th edition of Mombasa international marathon due to financial constraints as the Sh2m sponsorship has been slashed to Sh1m,” said Athletics Kenya Deputy Treasurer Kimoni Kisalu.
The official, who doubles up as the Athletics Kenya Coast branch chairman, said they will award the top 10 finishers of the 10km race in both men and women categories. “We shall give Sh100,000 to the winners with the three finishing local athletes also getting cash awards,” said Kisalu.
He said the races will start and finish at the Treasury Square passing through historical sites including the Elephant Tusks along Moi Avenue.
“We intend to close several roads within the Central Business District (CBD) to create awareness to Mombasa residents,” said Kisalu.
- Champion speaks: Kipchoge says others can run in under two hoursAthletics 2 days ago
- Polo: Forte pick second win in tourneySports 2 days ago
- Kipchoge’s heroic performance inspires Kenya’s athletics starsAthletics 2 days ago
- Meet Kenya’s past world marathon record holdersAthletics 2 days ago
- Rugby: Kenya Lionesses inch closer to 2020 Olympic Games Rugby 2 days ago
- This man Eliud Kipchoge Athletics 2 days ago
- Wanyama eager to guide Stars to victory Football 2 days ago