Barcelona man sentenced to jail over nightclub fight
Barcelona midfielder Arda Turan, currently on loan with Turkish club Basaksehir, was sentenced to two years and eight months in jail for firing a gun to cause fear and panic, illegal possession of weapons and intentional injury.
However, the court deferred the implementation of the verdict, which means Turan will not go to prison unless he commits a crime in the next five years.
Turan was involved in a fight with Turkish singer Berkay Sahin in an Istanbul nightclub late last year, leaving the singer with a broken nose. Turan later arrived at the hospital with a gun which he fired at the ground, causing panic.
Basaksehir said they had fined the 31-year-old 2.5 million Turkish lira ($432,548) over the incident.
He joined Barcelona from Atletico Madrid for 34 million euros ($37.45 million) in 2015, winning four trophies, making 55 appearances and scoring 15 goals for the Catalan club.
Turan has played for Turkey 100 times and scored 17 goals for his country.
- Athletics: Sh3.5m up for grabs at Eldoret City MarathonAthletics 1 day ago
- Reports: Spanish defender in London for Arsenal medicalFootball 4 hours ago
- PSG star linked with move to Old Trafford but Utd are wary of repeating mistakes made with SanchezFootball 2 days ago
- Awards: Nigerians, Ethiopians stand out in Soya galaSports 1 day ago
- Middlesbrough complete signing of Kenyan youngster defenderFootball 4 hours ago
- Nairobi to host 2020 World Athletics Continental tourSports 1 day ago
- Shujaa miss semi-final berth in Hamilton 7s contestRugby 23 hours ago