Wrestler sacked after attacking referee, leaving him with career-ending injuries
UK wrestler Josh Bodom has been sacked by his promotion after attacking a referee and leaving him with "career-ending injury" after a match.
Referee Aaren Wilde was attacked by Bodom after a botched finish to a match, whilst he was also slammed to a mat by his tag-team partner, Sha Samuels.
Video footage on Twitter showed Wilde being struck by Bodom's knee at the end of the match before being hit with several clubs to the back of the head.
The incident occurred on a Revolution Pro Wrestling (RevPro) at York Hall on Friday, August 30 and the company confirmed in a statement it had "indefinitely severed ties" with Bodom.
Wilde says he has been forced to put his career on hold due to the injuries, taking to Twitter to express "sadness, anger and frustration at the incident.
He stated that he "was grabbed and slammed to the mat by Sha and then something happened on the outside.
"I honestly don't know what, that part was a blur."
He added: "As a result, I have sustained a much-more-serious-than-originally-thought neck and shoulder injury that means I am no longer able to referee.
"I hate the term “retire”, so I’ll say this; I am indefinitely unable to referee due to medical restrictions."
RevPro released a statement confirming that Bodom's actions "would not be tolerated" and the tag-team had been stripped of their Undisputed British Tag Team Championships immediately.
They added that Samuels would be "undertaking an internal disciplinary hearing and will be on a zero-tolerance policy" going forward and that they were confident that he would respond to this in a positive manner "given his track record".
Samuels gave his side to the story on Twitter, stating: "I’m going to address this once, and that’s it. A mistake happened during our match last week.
"As a performer, thinking on my feet, I scoop slammed the referee (as safely as possible) and cut a promo saying it was a 'stitch-up'."
- Why Kenya’s Crouch fears Algerian star BounedjahSports 2 days ago
- Sports Golf-Standard County Golf Classic lands at Limuru Course this morning Golf 2 days ago
- Rosenberger clinches Classic Rally crownSports 2 days ago
- Tusker pile more woes on Sharks as Bandari hit Wazito at MbarakiFootball 2 days ago
- Gaming:BetLion launch Virtual Football LeagueSports 2 days ago
- Masinde Muliro upbeat ahead of clash against StrathmoreRugby 2 days ago
- Poor show for Shujaa as they miss quarters slotRugby 2 days ago