Kamusinga, Dagoretti win hockey and basketball matches
Former East Africa boys’ hockey champions Friends School Kamusinga yesterday made their intentions to reclaim their title known with an emphatic 5-0 over hosts Juhudi at St Constantine grounds.
The Kenyan lads were no match for their Tanzanian opponents and four minutes is all Geoffrey Owino needed to put them in the lead in their opening Group B tie.
The home team resorted to defensive play for the better part of the first half but Shadrack Kipkoech outdid their defence to slot in their second goal in the 21st minute.
Chris Nyongesa and Moses Munyeti ensured that Kamusinga, who returned to the East Africa games after two years in the cold, were home and dry before halftime as he scored two quick goals in the 23rd and 29th minutes.
Gideon Mshindi made it five for the Kenyan boys six minutes into the second half as their opponents resigned to fate and stopped chasing their opener.
Kamusinga coach Godfrey Muleyi said they are looking to win the East Africa crown having missed the national title.
“This is the only remaining title that is still within our reach. We missed the national trophy and the boys are determined not to miss this opportunity,” Muleyi said.
Boys’ defending champions St Anthony’s Kitale chalked their second victory after beating Tanzania’s Lindi 3-0.
In the girls’ contest, national champions St Cecilia Misikhu maintained their good run routing Ugandan rivals Old Kampala 4-0.
Misikhu, who are chasing their maiden East Africa title, are favourites to win this year’s crown after last year’s winners Trans Nzoia Mixed failed to secure their return to the regional games.
In boys’ basketball, debutants Dagoretti High showed they mean business sealing their second Group B win.
The Kenyan boys beat Seroma HC from Uganda 78-67 to increase their chances of reaching the last four.
Dagoretti captain Churchill Odhiambo said they will keep fighting as they seek to win their remaining matches.
- KSI defeats Paul in bout of YouTube boxersBoxing 2 days ago
- Unai Emery gives update about his job following Arsenal’s 2-0 defeat to LeicesterFootball 2 days ago
- Step by step explanation of how SportPesa, Betin case win against KRA will affect your betFootball 2 days ago
- Lively Man United earn 3-1 win over BrightonFootball 2 days ago
- View the latest EPL Table after Liverpool beat Manchester City 3-1Football 2 days ago
- Liverpool beat Man City to open up eight-point Premier League leadFootball 2 days ago
- Clinical Gor Mahia run weak AFC Leopards out of townFootball 2 days ago