Martial Arts: Kenyan team off to World event in Korea
Kenya has picked a strong team of 35 athletes for the second 2019 Chungju World Martial Arts Masterships championship from August 24 to September 7 at Chungju World Martial Arts Park, in South Korea.
The tournament’s theme is “Beyond the times, Bridge the world” and will focus on comprehensive martial arts competition with peace and harmony propagated in the world.
Kenya Tong-IL Moo-Do Federation President Clarence Mwakio said the Kenyan team will feature for the second time in the championships after bagging eight medals during the inaugural 2016 edition.
In their first outing, the Kenyan team won one gold, two silver and five bronze medals, ranking them third in the World behind Iran, and the Philippines.
According to Master Mwakio, the team received sponsorship from the Ministry of Sports, Culture and Heritage and expect to have a successful tournament.
He said the team will be accompanied by some top ministry officials.
During the championships, Kenya will compete against Philippines, Iran, Thailand, Japan, Korea, Nepal, Cambodia, India, Taiwan, Congo, DRC, Congo, Brazaville and Nigeria.
Others are Zambia, Ethiopia, Ivory Coast, Benin, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Brazil, Paraguay, USA and Argentina.
This year’s event in South Korea is co-hosted by the World Martial Arts Mastership Committee, Chungcheongbuk-do Province and Chungju city in the Republic of Korea.
“The Korean tournament is a precursor for the annual Mombasa International Championship to be held in December,” said Mwakio.
Among the top-notch athletes in the Kenyan team, are 10 black belt holders.
- Thika Queens yavizia taji la Ligi KuuFootball 2 days ago
- RB Leipzig boss reveals why some of his players wore different kits during match against TottenhamFootball 2 days ago
- China to play home leg of Olympic qualifier in Sydney due to coronavirusFootball 2 days ago
- World rugby chiefs to review transgender policiesRugby 2 days ago
- Blow for Liverpool: Henderson ruled out for three weeks with injuryPremier League 2 days ago
- Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury – 22Bet ReviewSports 2 days ago
- Beach Volleyball: Coach Mulinge drops twoVolleyball and Handball 1 day ago