Barcelona release statement as Lionel Messi suffers injury before new season
Barcelona have confirmed Lionel Messi has suffered a calf injury and will not travel to the USA for their two friendlies against Napoli.
Messi was on the bench as Barca beat Arsenal on penalties in the Joan Gamper trophy but did not come on as a substitute.
He is now a doubt for the Catalan giants' first game of the season against Athletic Bilbao a week on Friday.
In a statement, Barca said: "First team player Leo Messi, who had returned from his summer break for training on Monday, withdrew from the session due to discomfort in his right leg.
"Tests carried out have diagnosed a Grade 1 calf strain for the Argentine.
"Messi will remain in Barcelona and will now not travel to the USA for the club's tour. His availability to come back to action will be dictated by his recovery from the injury."
If Messi is unavailable, it would represent a huge blow for Barca as they bid for another Spanish title.
They have been so far unsuccessful in their bid to lure Neymar back to the Nou Camp from Paris Saint-Germain as another forward option.
Philippe Coutinho's future also remains uncertain with interest from the Premier League and further afield after a difficult campaign last term.
- Africa deaf athletes’ championships startAthletics 2 days ago
- FKF Elections: Nyamweya, ex-Vihiga Governor Akaranga join frayFootball 13 hours ago
- Lionel Messi returns to full Barcelona trainingFootball 2 days ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Rugby legend reveals he’s living with HIVRugby 2 days ago
- From now on, here’s how to pronounce top footballers’ names – UEFAFootball 1 day ago
- Kenya confident as inaugural Africa fiesta kicks offAthletics 2 days ago
- Arsenal fans, will you accept this defender's heartfelt apology? Football 2 days ago