Barcelona release statement as Lionel Messi suffers injury before new season
Barcelona have confirmed Lionel Messi has suffered a calf injury and will not travel to the USA for their two friendlies against Napoli.
Messi was on the bench as Barca beat Arsenal on penalties in the Joan Gamper trophy but did not come on as a substitute.
He is now a doubt for the Catalan giants' first game of the season against Athletic Bilbao a week on Friday.
In a statement, Barca said: "First team player Leo Messi, who had returned from his summer break for training on Monday, withdrew from the session due to discomfort in his right leg.
"Tests carried out have diagnosed a Grade 1 calf strain for the Argentine.
"Messi will remain in Barcelona and will now not travel to the USA for the club's tour. His availability to come back to action will be dictated by his recovery from the injury."
If Messi is unavailable, it would represent a huge blow for Barca as they bid for another Spanish title.
They have been so far unsuccessful in their bid to lure Neymar back to the Nou Camp from Paris Saint-Germain as another forward option.
Philippe Coutinho's future also remains uncertain with interest from the Premier League and further afield after a difficult campaign last term.
- Teams move to camp ahead of Africa beach volleyball Olympic qualifiersVolleyball and Handball 2 days ago
- Dortmund's 'Yellow Wall': The gigantic monster lying in wait for PSGFootball 1 day ago
- Malian International Moussa Marega subtitutes himself after racist chantsFootball 6 hours ago
- PSG replace Man City as most financially powerful clubFootball 2 days ago
- MVP award named after Kobe BryantBasketball 5 hours ago
- Strathmore focused on graduating to Kenya Cup leagueRugby 15 hours ago
- GOLF: Lande paints Machakos red with winGolf 15 hours ago