Winners of second edition of Eldoret City Marathon awarded
Winners of the second edition of Eldoret City Marathon received their prizes in a ceremony graced by Environment Chief Administrative Secretary Mohamed Elmi.
Elmi urged other counties to emulate Uasin Gishu county and champion environmental conservation through sports and other initiatives for Kenya to achieve the 10 per cent tree cover before 2022.
Up to Sh18 million in prize money was awarded to top 20 finishers with winners in both men and women races each receiving Sh3.5 million.
Mathew Kisorio triumphed in the men’s race, with David Kiplimo finishing second and Kenneth Kemboi third.
In the women’s category, Beijing Marathon champion Valary Aiyabei emerged victorious after edging out Vivian Kiplagat and Elizabeth Rumokol.
Standard Group Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Orlando Lyomu said the company will continue to support initiatives aimed at environmental conservation.
In a speech delivered by the Standard Group Human Resource Director Nicholas Siwatom, Lyomu said environmental conservation is among the company’s corporate social investment pillars.
“The Standard is extremely delighted to have been part of this journey since its inception in 2018. As a media partner for this worthy initiative, our role has been and continues to be raising awareness in ensuring that through our various platforms, we get as many people and as many organisations to participate in the marathon in their own special way,” said Lyomu.
Standard Media Group was the major media partner in the race sponsored by Uasin Gishu County government and a host of other corporates.
Uasin Gishu Governor Jackson Mandago said the sports ministry should look forward in ensuring that the Kipchoge Stadium is completed soon.
“We have allocated Sh250 million for the project,” said Mandago.
- What a Magical Kenya Ladies Open!Golf 2 days ago
- Atletico, Atalanta reach last 16 as Bayern cruise past SpursFootball 21 hours ago
- Shock as Mourinho targets Fellaini for January window transfer Premier League 2 days ago
- City Stars go eight-points clear as Shabana bounce backFootball 2 days ago
- Barcelona president sends message to Guardiola as Man City 'prepare to lose him'Gossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- Ronaldo left angry after being confronted on the pitch during Juventus' 2-0 win over Bayer Leverkusen Football 17 hours ago
- Man United and Liverpool in transfer battle to sign Bayer Leverkusen talentPremier League 1 day ago