Winners of second edition of Eldoret City Marathon awarded
Winners of the second edition of Eldoret City Marathon received their prizes in a ceremony graced by Environment Chief Administrative Secretary Mohamed Elmi.
Elmi urged other counties to emulate Uasin Gishu county and champion environmental conservation through sports and other initiatives for Kenya to achieve the 10 per cent tree cover before 2022.
Up to Sh18 million in prize money was awarded to top 20 finishers with winners in both men and women races each receiving Sh3.5 million.
Mathew Kisorio triumphed in the men’s race, with David Kiplimo finishing second and Kenneth Kemboi third.
In the women’s category, Beijing Marathon champion Valary Aiyabei emerged victorious after edging out Vivian Kiplagat and Elizabeth Rumokol.
Standard Group Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Orlando Lyomu said the company will continue to support initiatives aimed at environmental conservation.
In a speech delivered by the Standard Group Human Resource Director Nicholas Siwatom, Lyomu said environmental conservation is among the company’s corporate social investment pillars.
“The Standard is extremely delighted to have been part of this journey since its inception in 2018. As a media partner for this worthy initiative, our role has been and continues to be raising awareness in ensuring that through our various platforms, we get as many people and as many organisations to participate in the marathon in their own special way,” said Lyomu.
Standard Media Group was the major media partner in the race sponsored by Uasin Gishu County government and a host of other corporates.
Uasin Gishu Governor Jackson Mandago said the sports ministry should look forward in ensuring that the Kipchoge Stadium is completed soon.
“We have allocated Sh250 million for the project,” said Mandago.
- Football: Wanga shuts door on Stars after 12-year dutyFootball 1 month ago
- Big Boys don’t cry: Which way next for Golf Majors?Golf 1 month ago
- Nigeria suffers shock loss to AFCON debutants MadagascarFootball 1 month ago
- Former Barcelona, Man City legend signs for new clubFootball 1 month ago
- Why Wanyama will still be forced out of Tottenham even if Eriksen departsFootball 1 month ago
- Uhuru leads Kenyans in mourning KadengeFootball 1 month ago
- Champions League pitch invader arrested trying to do the same at Copa AmericaFootball 1 month ago