Basketball: Thunder hit Equity Bank
Thunder rallied from behind to beat Equity Bank in a Kenya Basketball Federation (KBF) men’s premier league match at Nyayo Gymnasium yesterday.
It was sweet revenge for last season’s semi-finalists who lost to the bankers in the first leg early this year. Equity’s new signing Feisal Aden emerged as the man of the match but his 30 points were not enough to help his side complete a double against Thunder. Kevin Chogo and Faheem Juma top-scored for Thunder with 15 points while Griffin Ligare added 13.
Despite staging a good show, Aden’s numerous fouls forced him off the court in the dying minutes of the game that saw Thunder squeeze a 72-70 win. Aden propelled the bankers into a 23-12 lead at the break of the first quarter.
On resumption, Thunder looked composed with accurate passes that saw them dominate the period to narrow Equity’s lead to two points after scoring 21 points against the opponents’ 12. The third quarter was closely contested as the two sides alternately scored with Equity leading 17-16.
Thunder remained solid in the final quarter with Equity dealt a major blow as blunder on Shem Otieno saw Aden fouled out of the game. Then the bankers were unable to contain Thunder’s duo of Ligare and Juma who scored crucial points to consolidate their top spot on 25 points.
In another men’s Premier League encounter, former champions Ulinzi Warriors beat Strathmore University Blades 74-68 to maintain their second place with 25 points same as leaders Thunder. Never disappointing Erick Mutoro sunk 28 points for the Soldiers who were made to work harder for victory by the stubborn students. George Okoth led Blades with 19 points.
In women’s contest, premier league debutants University of Nairobi (UON) Dynamites kept their play-offs dream alive with a 60-43 win over their Kenyatta University (KU) counterparts Oryx. Faith Atieno and Valarie Kemunto anchored Dynamites to victory with 13 and 12 points respectively.
- Chelsea's star midfielder signs five-year contract extensionFootball 1 month ago
- Good news for Man United as club ‘agrees terms’ with Portuguese powerhouseGossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- Harambee Stars goalkeeper joins Tanzania’s Yanga FCFootball 1 month ago
- Barcelona superstar 'says yes' to PSG transfer - paving way for Neymar returnFootball 1 month ago
- Man United First training: New boy Daniel James in action [Photos]Football 1 month ago
- Griezmann shocks football world, delivers on threat Football 1 month ago
- AFCON: Maybe this year will be the one – Senegal coachFootball 1 month ago