Meet Arsenal’s new striker – who had several trials at Man United
Arsenal have announced the signing of the 18-year-old forward Gabriel Martinelli from Brazilian side Ituano Futebol Clube.
The teenager has joined on a long-term contract and becomes the Gunners' first signing of the summer.
Martinelli scored six goals in 14 games for Ituano in Brazil's Serie D last season, and he is likely to challenge for a place in Arsenal's under-23 side initially.
A Gunners statement read: "Gabriel has made rapid progress during his short time at Ituano. Since making his debut in November 2017 aged just 16 years and nine months, the young forward scored 10 goals from his 34 appearances for the Sao Paulo-based club.
"The 18-year-old’s development was also recently acknowledged by the Brazilian national team, with a call-up to the full squad for a training camp in May ahead of the Copa America.
"Gabriel was voted as the 2019 Best Newcomer and also a member of the 2019 Team of the Year for the Campeonato Paulista - the football league for the state of Sao Paulo."
Martinelli added: It is a dream since I was a child and also my family’s dream for me to be playing in Europe and playing for a big team like Arsenal. I am going to take this opportunity.
The forward didn't need a work permit to sign for the Gunners, despite being Brazilian, as he qualifies for an Italian passport through his dad.
Arsenal fans will hope that the arrival kickstarts a busy summer at the Emirates, with the Gunners still chasing deals for Crystal Palace's Wilfried Zaha and Celtic's Kieran Tierney.
A £40million off for Zaha has been rejected, although the forward's brother has pleaded with Palace to allow the Ivorian to complete his 'dream' switch to his boyhood club.
Meanwhile the Gunners are set to face competition for the signing of Scotland international Tierney, with Napoli now said to be in the race for the left-back.
- Zaha sends powerful message to fans on joining ArsenalFootball 1 month ago
- Man United First training: New boy Daniel James in action [Photos]Football 1 month ago
- Griezmann shocks football world, delivers on threat Football 1 month ago
- Good news for Man United as club ‘agrees terms’ with Portuguese powerhouseGossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- Harambee Stars goalkeeper joins Tanzania’s Yanga FCFootball 1 month ago
- Barcelona superstar 'says yes' to PSG transfer - paving way for Neymar returnFootball 1 month ago
- Manchester United close to nailing elusive signatureFootball 1 month ago