Arsenal agree transfer terms with highly-rated defender
Arsenal have reportedly agreed on personal terms with French centre-back sensation William Saliba - and will now negotiate a fee with Saint Etienne.
The defender made 19 appearances in all competitions the past season and was recently rewarded with a new four-year contract.
Arsenal have been keeping tabs on his development and it is believed that a £25million price tag was slapped on the 18-year-old.
Saint Etienne are in no mood to sell and reportedly want him back on loan for the next campaign if they are to part ways with their starlet.
But L'Equipe claims that the talented defender has agreed on a five-year contract at the Emirates, with the player staying in France for the upcoming season before arriving in London next summer.
Arsenal manager Unai Emery is desperate to bolster his defensive ranks this summer after a disappointing campaign at the Emirates.
The Gunners will have to make do without Champions League next season after failing to finish in the Premier League’s top four.
They had the chance to secure a spot in Europe’s elite club competition by winning the Europa League final last month but were thrashed 4-1 by Chelsea.
Emery is preparing for a huge squad overhaul this summer as he looks to return the club to their heydays, but he won’t be given a huge transfer war chest.
The Spanish manager has made signing a new defender his priority and has a number of targets on his shortlist including the highly-rated Saint Etienne defender Saliba, who has enjoyed a stunning break season in France.
Arsenal have been keeping tabs on his development and it seems they have now landed their man.
- Bulgaria PM urges football chief to resign after England match racismFootball 2 days ago
- Bandari beat Coastal Union as they end Tanzania tourFootball 1 day ago
- Brigid, Chepkoech shortlisted for IAAF awardsAthletics 1 day ago
- Cross Country: Top stars set for Isaiah Kiplagat cross country showpieceAthletics 1 day ago
- Kipchoge arrives home after running marathon in under two hoursEliud Kipchoge 1 day ago
- Wanyama speaks about transfer Football 1 day ago
- Mental strength key to Japan's preparation for South Africa clashRugby 1 day ago