National second seed Oyende wins again
Former East Africa scrabble seed one Allan Oyende bounced back to winning ways to claim the Machakos National Scrabble Circuit at Machakos University Hotel over the weekend.
The victory, Oyende’s second in the seven national circuits, saw him dethrone five-time consecutive winner and favourite, Nderitu Gitonga.
The title, however, did not come easy as the battle for the top prize went down to the last game, which was between Onani Magwanga and Oyende.
The national Seed Two emerged the winner after beating Onani 421-360. He finished the tournament with 13 victories and a winning spread of +1166 points.
Kenya number one Gitonga finished second, while Onani was third.
“I’m happy for the win and I’m hoping that only great things lie ahead. It has been a very competitive year so far, which saw my closest rival Gitonga relegate me, but I am looking forward to fighting back before the year ends,” Oyende said.
In the Intermediate division, Joseph Karinga of Muranga County and Joel Birgen of Stanchart Bank gave Philip Mutinda a run for his money.
Kenyatta University’s Mutinda prevailed to bag the top prize while Karinga finished second. Birgen too the third slot.
The Open Division also saw another university student, Onyango Oloo, of JKUAT, win with an unbeaten record.
- PHOTOS: Pogba and Lingard in heated fight as Man United land in AustraliaFootball 1 week ago
- KPL: KCB appoints Zedekiah ‘Zico’ Otieno as head coachFootball 1 month ago
- Gor Mahia complete signing of Rwandese goal machineFootball 2 weeks ago
- Barcelona superstar 'says yes' to PSG transfer - paving way for Neymar returnFootball 2 weeks ago
- Gor Mahia to fly Kenyan flag in Kagame CupFootball 2 weeks ago
- How Kenyan stewards forgot their job as Kariobangi Sharks schooled Everton [Photos]Football 1 week ago
- Good news for Man United as club ‘agrees terms’ with Portuguese powerhouseGossip & Rumours 2 weeks ago