Two fans injured in Baku before Europa League final
Two fans have been injured in Baku ahead of the Europa League final between Arsenal and Chelsea, Azerbaijani authorities have confirmed.
It is unclear whether the confrontations were between rival fans or between travelling supporters and locals in the capital.
Most reports in the lead-up to the match have suggested Arsenal and Chelsea fans have been mixing happily after both sides sent back a large proportion of their ticket allocation.
Supporters milled around Baku's fan park on the picturesque shores of the Caspian Sea, with fans of both clubs flocking in from all around the globe.
A lack of direct flights from the UK left many Chelsea and Arsenal supporters to give up the ghost, but those hardy souls who did travel had to dig deep for both money and time.
European bosses UEFA had selected Baku to host this final almost two years ago, and circumstances have quickly conspired in the last month to send two London clubs into the final.
Many Chelsea and Arsenal fans felt priced out of attending, with no direct flights and tricky travel routes to Baku.
Some fans spent more than £900 each on flights, making two stops en route to Baku.
Arsenal will secure a place in next season's Champions League with victory, while Chelsea are already assured of their spot at Europe's top table next season after finishing third in the Premier League.
The Blues are bidding for a second Europa League crown after tasting glory in 2013, while it would represent Arsenal's first European trophy since the 1994 Cup Winners' Cup.
- Former Barcelona, Man City legend signs for new clubFootball 1 month ago
- Chelsea star agrees new five-year deal hours after Lampard’s appointmentFootball 1 month ago
- How South Africa’s Bafana Bafana knocked out AFCON hosts Egypt Football 1 month ago
- Joe Kadenge burial billed at Sh5 millionFootball 1 month ago
- REVEALED! Why there is no SportPesa Mega JackpotFootball 2 months ago
- CORRECTION: Magufuli clip on Taifa Stars’ performance was taken out of contextSports 1 month ago
- Confirmed: Harambee Stars knocked out of 2019 AfconFootball 1 month ago