Lack of funds delays 2020 World Under-20 preparations
Local Organizing Committee for the 2020 IAAF World Under-20 Championships is still waiting for funds from the government to roll out the event’s preparations.
The LOC had earlier expressed concern with the slow pace the ministry is taking to release the initial Sh60 million to set up the secretariat.
Last week, CEO of Nairobi’s 2020 IAAF World Under-20 Myke Rabar, LOC Chairman Jack Tuwei and Barnabas Korir, a member LOC were at the two-day IAAF World Relays Championships at Yokohama’s Nissan Stadium as part of a learning tour, and see how the event is run.
“Time is running out, it’s good finally the government gave money to start preparation, so the work must start now, we didn’t want the last minute rush as witnessed at the Under-18 championships held in Nairobi in 2017,” said Korir who is also Athletics Kenya executive member.
“In fact, IAAF were not happy with general preparation, the last minute mad rush did not go well with the global running governing body. We don’t want to go through line that again. You know Under-20 is much bigger than Under-18 and requires more attention and preparations.
In January, IAAF Executive Director of Communications, Jackie Brock-Doyle, led a high powered delegation to Nairobi to inspect the preparation progress and gave the steering committee deadlines to meet for their next visit which will be in November after Doha 2019 World Championships.
Brock-Doyle urged the steering committee to deploy more mechanisms in their preparations.Under-20 Championships will be held in Nairobi on July 7-12.
- Former Harambee Stars Goalkeeper Francis Onyiso on football, public apology to wife and training soldiersFootball 2 weeks ago
- Western Stima edge out WazitoFootball 1 month ago
- Video: Shock as boxer collapses on podium at weigh-inBoxing 1 week ago
- Mourinho gives Messi new nickname after destroying LiverpoolFootball 3 weeks ago
- Arsenal superstar to return to Chelsea Football 5 days ago
- Asbel Kiprop now opens up about his women and dopingAthletics 3 weeks ago
- How Messi reacted to Ronaldo's Champions League exitFootball 1 month ago