Kenya fall to Namibia in T20 World Cup qualifier
Kenyan women began their International Cricket Council (ICC) T20 World Cup Africa Region qualifier on a wrong footing after losing to Namibia.
The Kenyan girls suffered a 39 runs defeat at Takashinga Sports Club in Harare, Zimbabwe, yesterday. Kenya’s struggles with the bat seemed to continue as they failed to stand the test of Namibian bowlers. Kenya won the bat and elected to field with Namibia scoring 117 for the loss of six wickets in their innings to set an attainable target of 118.
The opening duo of Mary Mwangi and Veronica Abuga failed to steady Kenya’s chase with Namibian bowlers proving to be smarter in their execution. The Kenyans five players run out, including skipper Margaret Ngoche while three were caught.
Sune Wittmann whose superb show earned her player of the match destroyed Kenya’s top order after getting both Mwangi and Abuga caught in the fourth and sixth overs with Kenya’s score at 21 for the lose of two wickets. With no meaningful partnership, Kenyans crumbled as wicketkeeper Sharon Juma (8), Silvia Kinyua (0), Ngoche (8) Vanesa Ooko (0) and Esther Wachira (4) were dismissed in quick succession.
Juma was caught off Irene van Zyl while Kinyua, Ngoche, Ooko, and Wachira were all run out with Kenya’s score at 46 for the lose of seven wickets. Former national team captain Daisy Njoroge, who returned to action this year having recovered from injuries sustained in a grisly road accident in 2017 top scored for Kenya with 18 runs off 19 balls while Mercyline Ochieng, who excelled with ball taking three wickets for 11 scored 12 runs.
In Namibia’s innings, Adrin van der Merwe and Wittmann were joint top scorers for their side with 25 runs each while Kayleen Green and Irene van Zyl hit 21 and 20 each. Ochieng tore Namibia’s top order dismissing Merwe, Green and captain Reehana Khan.
- TRANSFER: Arsenal agree terms with world class defender Football 3 days ago
- Tottenham 4-0 Huddersfield: Lucas Moura hat-trick keeps top-four dream aliveFootball 2 months ago
- Police tracking down disgraced Asbel KipropAthletics 1 month ago
- Mourinho attacks Ajax manager after shock UCL elimination by TottenhamFootball 1 month ago
- Wenger reveals his football future plans Football 3 weeks ago
- Revealed: What Cristiano Ronaldo said to Man Utd transfer target Matthijs de LigtFootball 1 week ago
- Man Utd and Arsenal battle it out for goalkeeping sensationFootball 1 month ago