Lonah Chemtai sets fastest marathon time by a European athlete in more than a decade (Photos)
Lonah Chemtai Salpeter (Israel), European 10,000m champion, set the fastest marathon time by a European athlete in more than a decade in the Volkswagen Prague Marathon on Sunday.
Finishing the race in 2:19:46, Chemtai Salpeter slashed more than two minutes off the course record.
According to European Athletics, the Prague victory enabled her to move to third on the European all-time list behind world record-holder Paula Radcliffe (2:15:25) and Germany’s Irina Mikitenko (2:19:19).
Her coach and husband Dan Salpeter after the race said that Chemtai has a very bright future and working hard towards achieving greater heights.
“Lonah was assisted by the pacer until the 28-kilometre mark and then started to push the pace to try for a sub-2:20.
“Regardless of the windy conditions in parts, Lonah ran the 10km between 30-40km at 32:37 and got a high five from our son Roy at 40km and maintained the pace until the finish line.
“The two half marathons along the preparations showed that in perfect conditions, Lonah can run under 2:20 but Lonah is still an upcoming runner so we are trying to be patient and the results will come as long as we keep it healthy and gradually. We are happy today,” said Dan Salpeter.
Almahjoub Dazza of Bahrain won the men’s marathon to cross the finish line in 2 hours, 5 minutes and 58 seconds. It was the second-fastest time in the history of the race.
- Chelsea star charged with drunk driving after ‘nasty crash’ in ManchesterFootball 2 months ago
- ‘I used fake penis to cheat drug testers before Olympics’ – Kardashian’s ex-husbandAthletics 1 month ago
- Arsenal star defender confirms shock departureFootball 3 weeks ago
- Former Man United superstar punished for breaking betting rulesFootball 6 days ago
- KPA eye double victory in NairobiBasketball 1 month ago
- What Mino Raiola's transfer ban could mean for Paul Pogba, 6 other starsFootball 1 month ago
- Gor Mahia chairman to quit club in DecemberFootball 4 weeks ago