Beatrice Chebet named StarTimes Sports personality for March
World Junior Cross Country champion Beatrice Chebet is the StarTimes Sports Monthly Personality recipient for the Month of March 2019.
Chebet was in superb form as she clinched the Junior Cross Country diadem in Aarhus, Denmark in One of the closest finishes in recent history.
Chebet won the crown by the thickness of the vest edging out Ethiopian pair Alemitu Tariku and Tsigie Gebreselama.
For the Coveted Award, Chebet edged out World Cross Senior Women's champion Hellen Obiri, Simon Ngige who was the top-ranked Kenyan Golfer at the Kenya Open Championship at Karen Golf and Country Club, and Sharon Kiprono of Kenya Pipeline who was voted Best Attacker at the Africa Club Championship in Egypt.
Chebet was delighted with the Award and has now set her sights on the World Championships in Doha, Qatar later in September.
"I'm happy to win the award. Winning the Junior Title in Denmark was not easy, I thank God for the victory it was a tough event," added Chebet
Following her victory, Chebet took Home a 42-inch StarTimes Digital TV and Sh100,000 Prize Money. She becomes the 21st Winner of the Award since its inception in 2017.
Speaking during the presentation ceremony, StarTimes Director of Marketing and PR, Mr Japheth Akhulia said, “Chebet is an inspiration to many, especially girls who are eager to compete at the highest level. As a brand, StarTimes will endeavour to encourage our sportsmen and women through these awards as a way of recognizing their dedicated efforts in the industry,”
SJAK Organizing Secretary, Wanjiku Mwenda, said the association is proud to give non-football sportsmen and women a platform to be recognized.
“We are happy that these awards are already inspiring athletes to work hard to prosper at the World stage,” Wanjiku noted.
Chebet now and Joins a glittering list of top sportsmen and women to have won the award, among them Fatuma Zarika, Eliud Kipchoge, Mary Keitany, Wycliffe Kinyamal, Hellen Obiri, Chess Player Sasha Mongeli, Swimmer Maria Brunhelner, Rally Driver Manvir Baryan, Beatrice Chepkoech and Boxer Judy Waguthi.
- Neymar's dad makes shock admission over PSG superstar's return to BarcelonaFootball 1 month ago
- ‘We don’t fear the Lions’ declare Uganda ahead of clashFootball 1 month ago
- AFCON: Madagascar make history, edge DR Congo on penaltiesFootball 1 month ago
- England Rugby League star donates brain to scienceRugby 1 month ago
- Harambee Stars Vs Senegal: We can do it – MigneFootball 1 month ago
- Furious Messi blasts Copa America officials after loss to BrazilFootball 1 month ago
- Chelsea star agrees new five-year deal hours after Lampard’s appointmentFootball 1 month ago