Kenyan Zakayo strikes gold in Abidjan, Ivory Coast
Kenyan charges continued with their good show at the ongoing Africa Under-20 and Under-18 Championships in Abidjan, Ivory Coast with Edward Zakayo winning 5,000m gold.
World Under-20 5,000m champion Zakayo won his specialty on Friday with another title to his growing medal collections.
Zakayo, also the African Senior 5000m champion led 1–2-3 sweep in the Under-20 5,000m final.
He clocked 13:13.07 and was followed by Jacob Krop (13:14.44) in second position while Reuben Pogisho (13:43.46) settled for bronze.
“I’m grateful to win another title, I owe it to teamwork. It was a good competition for the Kenyan team generally,” Zakayo said. He also won bronze at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia.
Kenya, known for its prowess in middle and long distance races, is displaying an all-round performance in Abidjan with Faith Kipkemboi jumping her way to victory in women’s Under-20 long jump, a day after Dennis Kipchirchir bagged a rare silver in men’s Under-20 triple jump.
Also in the field events, Kenya won silver in javelin through Martha Musai in girl’s Under-18 and Dorothy Riro claimed bronze in women’s Under-20 javelin.
Meanwhile, Kenya’s Felix Kimutai raced to course records at the Yellow River Estuary International Marathon, an IAAF Gold Label road race, in the Chinese city of Dongying on yesterday.
He secured victory in 2:09:23, beating the course record of 2:09:27.
- Griezmann confirms he is leaving Atletico MadridFootball 1 month ago
- Liverpool fans suffer in journey to Madrid after toilet leaks on their coach [Photos]Football 2 weeks ago
- TRANSFER: Arsenal agree terms with world class defender Football 1 day ago
- Moura hat-trick flattens Ajax to put Tottenham into Champions League finalFootball 1 month ago
- Sofapaka go top after Gor Mahia drawFootball 1 month ago
- LaLiga World Challenge: Sevilla break Simba heartsFootball 3 weeks ago
- Champions League pitch invader reveals why move was 'smartest of her career'Football 1 week ago