Sofapaka's Justin Ndikumana wins Player of the Month award
Sofapaka custodian Justin Ndikumana became the second goalkeeper to win the SportPesa/ LG Player of the Month Award since its inception five years ago.
Ndikumana beat Bethwel Warambo, Enosh Ochieng and Eric Kapaito to scoop the March 2019 award following a series of impressive goalkeeping for Sofapaka. Gabriel Andika became the first goalkeeper to be crowned way back in 2015.
The Burundi international kept three clean sheets out of four matches played in March and saved a crucial penalty that secured vital points for his title-chasing club. “I have been praying that I become the winner this month because I played well and everybody was talking about me. I am glad I caught the panel’s eyes and so I can look forward to better days,” said Ndikumana.
“Such awards boost my confidence and the entire team. I want to thank the entire squad, not just the defence that helped me keep the clean sheets. I feel like I can face any opponent and stand tall in goal and prevent them from scoring,” he added
Ndikumana was nominated alongside Allan Wanga of Kakamega Homeboyz, Vincent Oburu of AFC Leopards, Enosh Ochieng of Ulinzi Stars, Bethwel Warambo of KCB and Eric Kapaito of Kariobangi Sharks. Wanga and Oburu were dropped from the final shortlist that was subjected to a vote.
The Sofapaka man garnered 27 points to clearly finish ahead of Warambo and Ochieng who tied on 21 points. Kapaito finished fourth on ten points.
His fete crowned a perfect month for Sofapaka who won player and coaches’ award. John Baraza was voted March Fidelity Insurance Coach of the Month having guided his club to more victories over other league rivals.
The Africa Cup of Nations-bound Ndikumana talked up the team’s chances ahead of their debut in African continent’s premier football event. “We are happy to have made a history of joining the big boys up there. The intention is not to just participate but compete for every point and hopefully reach another milestone of getting past the group stage,” he said.
- Everton 2 – 0 West Ham: Resurgent Everton outclass West Ham to end losing runFootball 2 days ago
- Man United job isn't too big for me, says SolskjaerFootball 2 days ago
- David Luiz reveals the club that can challenge Liverpool to win EPL title this seasonFootball 2 days ago
- Alonso silences Newcastle taunts as Chelsea climb to thirdFootball 2 days ago
- Spurs stumble again as Leicester winFootball 2 days ago
- Seven-try All Blacks outclass Ireland to reach World Cup semisRugby 2 days ago
- Cricket: Scotland beat Kenya in T20Cricket 2 days ago