Gritty Cherono conquers Boston, Edna second in womenâ€™s race
It was Gold for Kenya as Lawrence Cherono won his debut in Boston Marathon on Monday, beating Lelisa Desisa of Ethiopia in a dramatic sprint finish.
The two broke from the leading pack with some kilometers left to run and kept together to the end.
The two; Cherono and Desidsa dashed towards the finish with the two running on the last of their reserve strength.
The Kenyan came out on top, clocking 2:07:57 while his Ethiopian counterpart came in second on 2:07:59.
Kenyan Kenneth Kipkemoi finished third on 2:08:06.
In the women’s race, Worknesh Degefa of Ethiopia won with 2:23:30 on the clock after opening a huge gap which she maintained to the end.
She was followed by Kenyan Edna Kiplagat on 2:24:14 while American Jordan Hasay came in third on 2:25:21.
WATCH: Worknesh Degefa of Ethiopia is the winner of the 2019 Boston Marathon Women's race with an unofficial finish of 2:23:30 (unofficial) pic.twitter.com/XPXPZdoyYD — WBZ | CBS Boston News (@wbz) April 15, 2019
Daniel Romanchuk of the USA won the Men’s Wheelchair race while Manuela Schar won the Women’s.
- Bandari beat Coastal Union as they end Tanzania tourFootball 2 days ago
- Brigid, Chepkoech shortlisted for IAAF awardsAthletics 2 days ago
- Cross Country: Top stars set for Isaiah Kiplagat cross country showpieceAthletics 2 days ago
- Kipchoge arrives home after running marathon in under two hoursEliud Kipchoge 2 days ago
- Wanyama speaks about transfer Football 2 days ago
- Mental strength key to Japan's preparation for South Africa clashRugby 2 days ago
- Ireland must frustrate the hell out of All Blacks, says D'ArcyRugby 2 days ago