KRU Championship: MMUST in playoff spot as Western Bulls stumble against Kisumu
Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology (MMUST) RFC have secured their playoff spot in the 2018-19 KRU Championship following a 17-3 win over Kitale RFC at Equip Center in Kitale over the weekend.
The Kakamega-based students, who were promoted early this season had to dig deep to beat their fellow newbies, Kitale RFC, and secure their third win in a row to maintain their fifth position with 38 points.
MMUST started brightly and had Kitale on the ropes early in the game frantically defending on their line. In-form John Bahati took advantage barging over from close range for an unconverted try.
Ben Amboko’s men responded with a penalty by Ian Omoke to cut the lead to two points by half time. However, two second half touchdowns by Timothy Mmasi and Venance Shikuba put the game to bed and a slot in playoffs, six points ahead of Mombasa and Kisii tied in sixth.
Kisii RFC are on 32 points after their 14-3 win over University of Eldoret and they will be seeking to lock out Mombasa, who beat Egerton Wasps 31-0 to keep their playoffs dream alive.
In Kakamega, Howard Okwemba enjoyed his return to the Bull Ring after Silverstone Kisumu registered a shock 9-8 win against hosts Western Bulls.
United States International University-Africa (USIU) RFC remained in contention for a home semifinal in the championship after beating league leaders Catholic Monks 8-3.
Fred Okoth scored the only try of the game with Eliud Mulla adding a penalty as the students moved to within two points of Bulls.
Dennis Mwanja’s men now have the opportunity to go second when they play their game in hand against South Coast Pirates.
Ngong have, however, been relegated as Kitale RFC bank their survival hopes on Pirates, hoping the coastal team loses their two last games.
- Man Utd's Champions League hopes ended after Shaw blunderFootball 2 weeks ago
- SPL: Gor thump Sony to go eight points clearFootball 1 month ago
- Boxing superstar reveals how he uses Game Of Thrones as motivation to beat rivalsBoxing 2 weeks ago
- Manchester United unveil amazing new kit[Photos]Football 6 days ago
- Liverpool set new record after tense win against Cardiff Football 1 month ago
- Asbel Kiprop now opens up about his women and dopingAthletics 2 weeks ago
- Blow to Chelsea as star ruled out of Europa League tieFootball 1 week ago