Equity Chess Club on perfect start as they seek to reclaim top spot
Equity Chess Club started on a high by defeating Jomo Kenyatta University of Science and Technology (JKUAT) 3.5-1.5 as the Kenya Premier Chess League resumed on Saturday at Kenyatta University.
Heading into the match, the champions were third in the standings with nine points and were trailing behind leaders Anchor Chess Club by three points but with a game in hand.
The defending champions took an early 2-0 lead in their game against JKUAT with Mathew Kamau and James Panchol winning easily against Brian Chege and Adim Ayok respectively.
A fight-back by Felix Macharia for the students against Candidate Master John Mukabi in the third round ended in a draw and Brian Kadenge sealed the win for the bankers by defeating Paul Aboyo to make it 3.5-0.5. Trinza Mwendwa finally got a win for the students by defeating Esther Awinja in the last round.
In another pairing, debutant Victoria Chess Club also made a perfect start to their premier league campaign as they easily dislodged Limiru Pawns 4-1.
Lourdes Young, Victor Sidera, Jeff Onyango and Julie Achieng were in form as the Lakeside team aim to collect their first three points.
However, it was a bad day in the office for current leaders Anchor Chess Club who were thumped 4.5-0.5 by KCB Bank.
The loss was the first for Anchor who headed into the game leading the standings with 12 points after four games but team manager Solomon Thuo is confident they will pull through and get points when action resumes on Sunday.
"We didn't register a single win in today's game but we will bounce back stronger tomorrow," he said.
Lighthouse, Nacha Kings, Prox Chess, Deadly Bishops, Technical University of Kenya and Trojjan Warriors also won their games.
Action resumes on Sunday.
- ‘Equal Pay!’ – American fans demand progress in women’s footballFootball 1 month ago
- AFCON: Maybe this year will be the one – Senegal coachFootball 1 month ago
- Neymar Champions League match ban confirmedFootball 2 months ago
- Uhuru to preside over Safari RallySports 1 month ago
- Kenya taught vital football lesson by SenegalFootball 1 month ago
- Lukaku’s cousin set to help Arsenal land dream target Football 1 month ago
- How South Africa’s Bafana Bafana knocked out AFCON hosts Egypt Football 1 month ago