AFC Leopards bag win, at last, as Bandari take league lead

By The Standard: Friday, January 18th 2019 at 00:00 GMT +3 | Football
Jeffry Odenyi of AFC Leopards' controls the ball during the Sportpesa premier league Match against KCB at Afraha Stadium in Nakuru on January 12,2018.KCB won 1-0

AFC Leopards registered their second win in the 2018-19 SportPesa Premier League yesterday with a 2-1 victory over Chemelil Sugar at Moi Stadium, in Kisumu.

Eugene Mukangula’s second half goal was enough for Ingwe to pick maximum points.

The win was crucial for head Marko Vasiljevic, who was under pressure to perform after only attaining seven points in seven rounds of matches.

Heading into the game, Leopards and Chemelil were both tied on seven points and the victory pushed them up to seventh in the log with 10 points after eight rounds of matches.

The game began with both sides shairing possession in the midfield. Leopards were first to strike in the 29th minute through Jafari Owiti after Chemelil defense and goalkeeper Kevin Otieno failed to clear a long ball.

In the second half, the sugar men tried pushing forward for an equaliser but were dealt another blow when Mukangula scored from a rebound in the 58 minute.

To get the latest soccer news, text 'SPORTS' to 22840.

Chemelil scored through a penalty by Francis Ocholla after Robinson Kamuda handled in the box in the 77 minute.

Leopards coach Marko Vasiljevic said he was happy with the win and believes Ingwe can pull through the season.

“I am happy the boys did what I told them. The win pushes us to top 10 and from now, we can start rebuilding,” he said.

Meanwhile, a stunning long ball goal from Abdallah Hassan was enough for Bandari to leapfrog Mathare United at the top of the Sportpesa Premier League.

Bandari defeated Posta Rangers 1-0 in a league match yesterday at Mbaraki Sports Club, in Mombasa. The win saw the dockers, coached by Bernard Mwalala, maintain their unbeaten record after eight rounds of matches.

The goal came in the 55th minute when Hassan, who has scored two goals this season, unleashed a powerful shot that slipped from Ranger’s custodian Levis Opiyo’s hands into the net.

Bandari started the match strongly and it was in the seventh minute when a well curled shot by David King’atua brushed the crossbar. The dockers mounted more pressure in the opening minutes with Hassan and William Wardi keeping Ranger’s defence on high alert.

Rangers made dangerous moves in the 39th  and 42nd minutes through Francis Nambute and Peter Ng’ang’a but goalkeeper Farouk Shikalo was firm to deal with their powerful shots as the match ended 0-0 at halftime.

In the second half, goalkeeper Opiyo made several saves from marauding Bandari strikers and he was the man who saved the mailmen from conceding more goals.