Barcelona could sell Philippe Coutinho in order to bring Neymar back
Barcelona are considering selling Philippe Coutinho in order to fund a move for Neymar, according to the Evening Standard.
They report that the former Liverpool star - who has been linked with a shock switch to Manchester United - is edging closer to a sensational Catalonia exit just a year after joining the club from the Reds.
Coutinho has started only one of Barca's last five matches, and his form is a far cry from his displays after joining the club in the middle of last season.
He scored 10 goals in 22 games back then, but his influence on the team has started to wane following the resurgence from Ousmane Dembele and form of midfielders Ivan Rakitic and Arthur.
Their displays have meant that Coutinho has been unable to nail down a position either in midfield or as part of the front three.
And the Standard report that Barca are stepping up efforts 'behind the scenes' to bring Neymar back from Paris Saint-Germain, with that purchase funded by the offloading of Coutinho.
Catalunya Radio have reported that club representative Andre Cury - who played a key role in Barca's signing of Neymar from Santos in 2013 - has met with Neymar and his team as interest around a potential return for a player who left in 2017 gathers pace.
PSG still face major questions from UEFA over their Financial Fair Play compliance and could be tempted into selling if an offer matching their world record £199million outlay on Neymar is matched.
- IDPA Expert shooter Onyango set for MagTech Cup in HungarySports 2 weeks ago
- Meet Arsenal’s new striker – who had several trials at Man United Football 1 week ago
- Everton legends call to Sharks ahead of friendlyFootball 1 week ago
- Mane says he will step down as Senegal penalty-taker for nowFootball 1 week ago
- Lukaku’s mother star-struck at Old Trafford after meeting Lionel Messi [photos]Football 3 months ago
- Reason why Man Utd's transfer for Bruno Fernandes has been delayedFootball 1 week ago
- Neymar out of Copa America 2019 with ankle ligament injuryFootball 1 month ago