Barcelona could sell Philippe Coutinho in order to bring Neymar back
Barcelona are considering selling Philippe Coutinho in order to fund a move for Neymar, according to the Evening Standard.
They report that the former Liverpool star - who has been linked with a shock switch to Manchester United - is edging closer to a sensational Catalonia exit just a year after joining the club from the Reds.
Coutinho has started only one of Barca's last five matches, and his form is a far cry from his displays after joining the club in the middle of last season.
He scored 10 goals in 22 games back then, but his influence on the team has started to wane following the resurgence from Ousmane Dembele and form of midfielders Ivan Rakitic and Arthur.
Their displays have meant that Coutinho has been unable to nail down a position either in midfield or as part of the front three.
And the Standard report that Barca are stepping up efforts 'behind the scenes' to bring Neymar back from Paris Saint-Germain, with that purchase funded by the offloading of Coutinho.
Catalunya Radio have reported that club representative Andre Cury - who played a key role in Barca's signing of Neymar from Santos in 2013 - has met with Neymar and his team as interest around a potential return for a player who left in 2017 gathers pace.
PSG still face major questions from UEFA over their Financial Fair Play compliance and could be tempted into selling if an offer matching their world record £199million outlay on Neymar is matched.
- USA star returns to pre-season training six months pregnantFootball 2 weeks ago
- Golf: Battle Royale for Sh20.5 million gets underwayGolf 1 week ago
- Atletico Madrid stun Juventus 2-0 in Champions League Football 1 month ago
- Zidane brings Real Madrid's outcasts in from coldFootball 1 week ago
- Gor rule Mashemeji derby once again after 2-0 win over AFC LeopardsFootball 1 month ago
- Tusker withdraw from Sportpesa Shield battleFootball 2 weeks ago
- Former Arsenal star Emmanuel Eboue marries ex-lover after failed marriage with British wifeGossip & Rumours 2 weeks ago