Kenya battle Zambia for final berth
Kenya will today lock horns with Zambia in the semi-final of the Copa Coca-Cola Under-16 Africa Cup at Nakuru High School.
The Kenyans, who are unbeaten in the tournament, have their work cut out as they tackle Zambia, who are also yet to test defeat.
In another semis tie, Botswana will be out to prove their mettle when they take on revered Nigeria.
Going into today’s clash, Kenya have a 100 percent win record having crashed Ethiopia 11-1 and Botswana 3-0 in Group A before edging out neighbours Uganda 1-0 in yesterday’s quarter-final match.
Evergreen Jacob Onyango scored the winning goal in the 49th minute to see Kenya inch closer to the coveted trophy.
Zambia, on the other hand, won 2-1 against Nigeria, played to a barren draw with Zimbabwe in Group B and sealed their last four slot with a 1-0 win over Tanzania.
Against Tanzania, Lickson Ngambi’s 31st minute goal dumped the East Africans out of the title contest.
Kenya coach Peter Mayoyo said their aim is to play in tomorrow’s final.
“We set out on a mission to represent Kenya well and I’m glad the boys have given their best and we remain on course to achieving our purpose.
“However, there is still room for improvement and we have to play even better against Zambia because they want to be in the final just as much as we do and only the best team will have that chance,” Mayoyo said.
His Zambian equal Kalapula Zulu said that despite Kenta being strong and favourites to win the title, he was ready for the challenge.
“We don’t expect an easy passage to the final because Kenya is one of the strongest teams in this tournament and we expect a very a tough match,” Zulu said.
Botswana, who came to the competition as underdogs, shocked many when they beat Mozambique 4-3 in post-match penalties.
- Ataro among coaches awaiting Telkom callHockey 1 day ago
- Petr Cech to be offered chance to return to ChelseaPremier League 1 day ago
- Emery provides update on Ozil amid claims German could leave ArsenalFootball 15 hours ago
- Mourinho rejects opportunity to become top club managerFootball 1 week ago
- Confirmed: Aaron Ramsey's move from Arsenal to Juventus done dealGossip & Rumours 1 week ago
- Man United fans left fuming by what Arsenal have done ahead of FA Cup tieFootball 1 day ago
- Five players Liverpool could easily sign this month Premier League 22 hours ago