Clean 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17 sweep for Kenya at Singapore Marathon
Kenyans on Sunday monopolised both men’s and women’s podium positions at the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon where more than 50,000 participants took part.
Kenyans not only swept the podium elite race categories at the Marathon but did an unprecedented 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17 clean sweep in the men’s race.
Joshua Kipkorir clocked 2 hours 12 minutes and 12 seconds to win the race ahead of compatriots Felix Kirwa and Andrew Kimtai who came in second (2:13:42)and third (2:14:29) respectively.
Cosmas Matolo Muteti crossed the finish line fourth in 2:15:42 to lead Gilbert Yegon and Kibet Collins to top five sweep before Dominic Ruto, Paul Matheka and Benson Kinutai closed in on the 10 extraordinary sweep.
“This is my first time here. I like the course, it’s very nice. I have no problems with the heat,” the 24 year old Kipkorir said.
In the women’s category, 38 year-old Priscah Cherono was the first to push past the tape, clocking 2:32:12 with Stella Barsosio (2:33:23) and Jane Jelagat (2:35:38) taking the silver and bronze medals.
Chernono said after her victory, “Yesterday was so hot, but today the conditions were good. I am so happy I won the race. I came to this race and I prepared myself, so now I’m dreaming”.
Kipkorir and Cherono will pocket US$50,000 (Sh5.1million) each.
- Vincent Kompany leaves Man City after 11 years, reveals the club he will be playing for next seasonFootball 6 days ago
- Five Africa Cup of Nations facts you need to knowFootball 1 month ago
- Police tracking down disgraced Asbel KipropAthletics 4 weeks ago
- Video: Racism? Valencia fan spits at arsenal hat trick hero AubameyangFootball 2 weeks ago
- Boxing: Anthony Joshua might ban Drake from dressing room amid 'curse' fearsBoxing 1 week ago
- Jurgen Klopp: Messi is unstoppableFootball 3 weeks ago
- Fan poll reveals how Pogba is hated at Real MadridFootball 5 days ago