Danny Welbeck suffers horror injury as Arsenal star is taken off on stretcher
Arsenal striker Danny Welbeck was taken to hospital for an X-ray on a serious leg injury against Sporting Lisbon.
The England star went up for a header with Bruno Gaspar during the first half of the Europa League clash and appeared to land awkwardly before immediately called for treatment.
Medical staff rushed onto the pitch and administered gas and air to the striker as his teammates looked on in concern.
He was consoled by Sporting captain and former Manchester United teammate Nani as he lay on the ground.
Welbeck was given a rousing reception as fans cheered his name when he was taken off on a stretcher and replaced by Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
Boss Unai Emery said: "It’s his ankle. He broke something in his ankle.
"This is the worst news tonight. We think it is a serious injury. It’s clear he was playing well and had chances.
"His injury also affected the mentality of the players as they could see it was a big injury. When we finished the match the first thing was to ask about him.
"He has been taken to hospital, we are going to wait."
Skipper Petr Cech said: "Danny [Welbeck]'s looked like a serious injury which is not nice to see and our thoughts are with him."
Alex Iwobi added: "It was mentally challenging. We are going to wish him all the best and encouraging him to get back."
BT Sport initially opted against showing the challenge or Welbeck's injury again but pictures suggest he may have suffered a broken leg.
That would likely rule him out for a large chunk of the rest of the season.
Speaking at half-time, pundit Martin Keown expressed his concern insisting Welbeck was "one of the nicest men in football".
Mesut Ozil and Manchester United legend Gary Neville also sent a message to Welbeck on Twitter.
Welbeck has had a nightmare time with injuries but has worked his way back into the Arsenal first-team and even went to the World Cup this summer.
He was also named in the full England squad on Thursday for matches with Croatia and USA.
Welbeck has been linked with a January move away from the Emirates in recent weeks, as he continues to play second fiddle to Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette.
Crystal Palace are thought to be keen on the striker, but the injury is likely to dent any hopes of a January move.
Welbeck's Gunners career has been plagued by knee problems, since his arrival from Manchester United in 2014.
He missed around eight months of action and Euro 2016 after picking up a knee injury at the end of the 2015-16 season.
- Video: Racism? Valencia fan spits at arsenal hat trick hero AubameyangFootball 2 weeks ago
- Former heavyweight champion gives advice to mental health sufferers with inspirational messageBoxing 4 days ago
- Football: Tottenham medical staff branded 'disgusting and pathetic'Football 3 weeks ago
- Fan poll reveals how Pogba is hated at Real MadridFootball 5 days ago
- 'I won't take medication': Defiant Semenya wins first race since gender ruling defeatAthletics 3 weeks ago
- ‘Girls now send me naked photos’ – football star teenager speaks on his successFootball 1 month ago
- Manchester United superstars in rift over scoring bonusesFootball 1 week ago