Furious Mexican boxer Yamileth Mercado reveals why she was beaten by Fatuma Zarika
Mexican boxer Yamileth Mercado has finally spoken days after she declined an interview following her defeat to Kenya's Fatuma Zarika on Saturday.
Mercado, who suffered her second loss in her professional career at the Kenyatta International Convention Centre, tweeted Monday that she was not happy with split-point decision by the three judges.
Judge Eddie Papoe of Ghana gave Mercado 96-94 while Kenya's Bena Kaloki and Francis Chirwa from Malawi gave Zarika 97-93 and 99-91 respectively in the tenth-round.
South African Referee Simon Mukadi was forced to intervene on several occasions after the pugilists pushed each other against the ropes.
Zarika, 33, had to rely on split point decision by the three judges to retain her World Boxing Council (WBC) female world super-bantam weight title.
Unhappy with how the decision was reached, Mercado wrote on her Twitter: "I say goodbye to Nairobi, I am dissatisfied with the decision of the judges, but happy with the work I do, grateful to the beautiful people of Kenya who acknowledged the triumph and infinitely grateful and happy with my people from Mexico, thanks for so much support! I love them."
I say goodbye to Nairobi, I am dissatisfied with the decision of the judges, but happy with the work I do, grateful to the beautiful people of Kenya who acknowledged the triumph and infinitely grateful and happy with my people from Mexico, thanks for so much support! I love them pic.twitter.com/MaNlSlXk9U — Yamileth Mercado (@YeimiMercado16) September 10, 2018
However, she thanked Kenyans for their support during her stay amid accusations of being robbed.
Thank you Kenya, I'm going sad for that unjust decision of the judges, but very grateful and enchanted by its people, it was a beautiful stay? pic.twitter.com/LiRdLcpCi9 — Yamileth Mercado (@YeimiMercado16) September 9, 2018
The bout was Zarika’s 43 fights, with her victory extending to at 31, 12 loses and two draws, he first won the World Boxing Council title last December by beating Zambian Catherine Phiri in unanimous decision.
- Malaysian golfer dies in hotel roomGolf 2 weeks ago
- Breaking: Lionel Messi returns to Argentina squad for 1st time since World CupFootball 1 month ago
- Is Germany goalkeeper Manuel Neuer retiring?Football 6 days ago
- EPL preview: Liverpool face hurdle as they host ChelseaPremier League 1 week ago
- Arsenal: Wenger throws his support behind ArsenalFootball 1 month ago
- Unstoppable Mbappe kills off Toulouse resistanceFootball 3 weeks ago
- Kenyan star footballer busted kissing cop’s daughter, forced to produce cash Gossip & Rumours 2 weeks ago