Harambee Stars 1-0 Ghana – Kenya make huge statement in AFCON qualifier [Photos]
10 –man Harambee Stars on Saturday, 8th September made a bold statement by defeating one of Africa’s football giants, the Black Stars of Ghana 1-0 at the Moi International Sports Centre Kasarani.
Michael Olunga was instrumental in the goal – putting pressure on Ghana’s Nicholas Opuko who had no option but to slot the ball past his own goalkeeper, much the delight of Kenyan fans.
Joash Onyango received a straight red card after fouling Majeed Waris as he was clean through on goal. Kenya Coach Sebastien Migne wasted no time- took out Eric Johanna and brought in the much-experienced David Ochieng.
Kenya missed the services of Tottenham midfield powerhouse Victor Wanyama, who is said to have been denied permission by the London-based club.
CF Fuenlabrada’s Ismael Gonzalez gave Kenyan’s a glimpse of his abilities, stringing a number of good passes in the lead up to the goal.
The win sees Kenya climb to second in Group F with three points. Ghana sit third.
Here are some photos captured by The Standard to help you relieve the moment:
- Kenya U23 thrash MauritiusFootball 7 hours ago
- The one decision Mourinho made that led to Sanchez wanting to quitFootball 10 hours ago
- Nakuru eye winning start against StrathmoreRugby 7 hours ago
- Santiago Solari is the new Real Madrid manager until 2021Football 16 hours ago
- Vivian hails ‘strong’ Keitany after New York Marathon winAthletics 1 week ago
- Ronaldo reveals the main reason he left Real MadridFootball 2 weeks ago
- Nyanza Club hosts over 50 golfers in one-day tournamentGolf 1 week ago