Harambee Stars 1-0 Ghana â€“ Kenya make huge statement in AFCON qualifier [Photos]
10 –man Harambee Stars on Saturday, 8th September made a bold statement by defeating one of Africa’s football giants, the Black Stars of Ghana 1-0 at the Moi International Sports Centre Kasarani.
Michael Olunga was instrumental in the goal – putting pressure on Ghana’s Nicholas Opuko who had no option but to slot the ball past his own goalkeeper, much the delight of Kenyan fans.
Joash Onyango received a straight red card after fouling Majeed Waris as he was clean through on goal. Kenya Coach Sebastien Migne wasted no time- took out Eric Johanna and brought in the much-experienced David Ochieng.
Kenya missed the services of Tottenham midfield powerhouse Victor Wanyama, who is said to have been denied permission by the London-based club.
CF Fuenlabrada’s Ismael Gonzalez gave Kenyan’s a glimpse of his abilities, stringing a number of good passes in the lead up to the goal.
The win sees Kenya climb to second in Group F with three points. Ghana sit third.
Here are some photos captured by The Standard to help you relieve the moment:
- Kenya taught vital football lesson by SenegalFootball 2 weeks ago
- Former Barca and Man City midfielder Yaya Toure has a new clubFootball 2 weeks ago
- How South Africa’s Bafana Bafana knocked out AFCON hosts Egypt Football 1 week ago
- JESUS WEPT! Brazil superstar punches VAR before breaking down in tearsFootball 1 week ago
- Sevilla arrive in Tanzania tomorrowFootball 2 months ago
- Good news for Man United as club ‘agrees terms’ with Portuguese powerhouseGossip & Rumours 2 weeks ago
- Manchester United secure major signing ahead of new seasonFootball 2 weeks ago