Harambee Stars 1-0 Ghana – Kenya make huge statement in AFCON qualifier [Photos]
10 –man Harambee Stars on Saturday, 8th September made a bold statement by defeating one of Africa’s football giants, the Black Stars of Ghana 1-0 at the Moi International Sports Centre Kasarani.
Michael Olunga was instrumental in the goal – putting pressure on Ghana’s Nicholas Opuko who had no option but to slot the ball past his own goalkeeper, much the delight of Kenyan fans.
Joash Onyango received a straight red card after fouling Majeed Waris as he was clean through on goal. Kenya Coach Sebastien Migne wasted no time- took out Eric Johanna and brought in the much-experienced David Ochieng.
Kenya missed the services of Tottenham midfield powerhouse Victor Wanyama, who is said to have been denied permission by the London-based club.
CF Fuenlabrada’s Ismael Gonzalez gave Kenyan’s a glimpse of his abilities, stringing a number of good passes in the lead up to the goal.
The win sees Kenya climb to second in Group F with three points. Ghana sit third.
Here are some photos captured by The Standard to help you relieve the moment:
- ‘I feel really good’ – Sir Alex Ferguson after emotional returnFootball 5 hours ago
- Police target double victories: Defending champions long to narrow 12-point gap with league leaders Butali Sugar WarriorsHockey 1 day ago
- Alexis Sanchez dubbed 'Manchester United's worst signing in years'Premier League 7 hours ago
- Kenyan female athlete threatens to expose senior athletics federation officialAthletics 5 hours ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Man United and Arsenal fight over German wonderkid dubbed the ‘new Kroos’Football 6 hours ago
- BOXING: Joshua KOs Povetkin in seventh round to retain world heavyweight titlesBoxing 6 hours ago
- How football clubs can do more to help players battling depressionSports 1 hour ago