Harambee Stars 1-0 Ghana – Kenya make huge statement in AFCON qualifier [Photos]
10 –man Harambee Stars on Saturday, 8th September made a bold statement by defeating one of Africa’s football giants, the Black Stars of Ghana 1-0 at the Moi International Sports Centre Kasarani.
Michael Olunga was instrumental in the goal – putting pressure on Ghana’s Nicholas Opuko who had no option but to slot the ball past his own goalkeeper, much the delight of Kenyan fans.
Joash Onyango received a straight red card after fouling Majeed Waris as he was clean through on goal. Kenya Coach Sebastien Migne wasted no time- took out Eric Johanna and brought in the much-experienced David Ochieng.
Kenya missed the services of Tottenham midfield powerhouse Victor Wanyama, who is said to have been denied permission by the London-based club.
CF Fuenlabrada’s Ismael Gonzalez gave Kenyan’s a glimpse of his abilities, stringing a number of good passes in the lead up to the goal.
The win sees Kenya climb to second in Group F with three points. Ghana sit third.
Here are some photos captured by The Standard to help you relieve the moment:
- Man United fans left fuming by what Arsenal have done ahead of FA Cup tieFootball 1 day ago
- Five players Liverpool could easily sign this month Premier League 19 hours ago
- Snow maintains Tour lead Golf 2 days ago
- Mourinho rejects opportunity to become top club managerFootball 1 week ago
- Emery provides update on Ozil amid claims German could leave ArsenalFootball 12 hours ago
- Golf: Sigona golfers kept bay as Safari Tour Series gathers steamGolf 4 days ago
- Chelsea complete signing of lethal strikerFootball 2 weeks ago